gary.Hb

Be careful out there...

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have climbed the hills on the coast for 20 years taking ever photograph you can imagine. Go surf fishing second time trying off some rocks near Pigeon Point Light, and slip on a piece of kelp and face plant into a rock, lucky I didn't knock myself out as I was alone. Drove back to Mt. View 30 stitches later good to go. Worst part didn't catch anything but went right back out the next weekend and got some redfin perch. Lesson learned probably a good idea at my age to fish with friends. 

Do be careful,

Gary

Yeah I tried to slip around a rock out cropping last year and made it around the first time heading north on a rising tide, but on the way back with tide in, my partner opted the safer route and climbed over the outcropping and I didn't thinking I can make it, just time it right. Was lucky to be alive after two waves slammed me into the rocks, sun glasses, hat and a few plugs gone. Bruised and soaked, my friend waiting at the car was laughing, but I wasn't, fortunate to just have bruises and a few scraps. Had I been in another spot on the rock or the waves had been a little bigger it could have ended badly. Sorry to hear about your accident. Have to be careful out there, don't turn your back to the waves either, the ocean always seems to know when you do...  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes, please do be careful. I was fishing Portuguese beach a couple of weeks ago by myself in the evening and I have to say fishing from the steep slope when the tide is just about highest, is kinda crazy. Those waves are pretty strong and big ones come quite often and suddenly. I was surprised a few times and got knocked over on my butt once. Of course when I went back to my car I saw a sign warning of strong waves. Do be careful. If you're in a new area and see a dude fishing close to you, talk to him. You may end up getting some information about the locale and perhaps also a new fishing buddy.

So sorry you had that nasty fall, but also glad you came out of it relatively unscathed. 

Edited by Sapien

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your fall! Frankly, if the rock is wet I figure it’s going to be slick until convinced otherwise.

Up my way, it is freighter waves and tides filling in behind you.

The freighter waves come ashore about 10 minutes after the freighter passes by.

I’ve had to drag a couple older guys out of the water that would have been in serious trouble if the current had gotten hold of them.

I’ve also seen them crest over the top

of people waded way out on eel grass flats.

A friend of mine nearly drown.

He was waded out on a sandbar and the tide filled in the depression behind him.

He was lucky enough to be able to get back to shore.

SF

Good topic...  Knock on wood.  I was on a beach on a high tide.  Got excited on a hit, took a couple steps back, tripped on a rock and hit the back of my head, was out for a quick second...  definitely concussed the next few days.  Fortunately, did not hit a sharp part.

like my father always says, "check ur six o'clock"

Steven