Mike Oliver

Cape Cod Fishing Report

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Slip n slide

Fantastic you had fishing of that quality. I love that spot now. But I had a few times when both legs were down to my nethers in the bog. Worse as it neared high tide. Had to use line tray to lever myself out. It’s scary to have that happen in the dark of night.

So already bait is headed on its way. We found fish were not stupid to and the type and quality of your fly did matter quite a lot.

We had birds but not like you saw.  Next time out could be time for the 7 or 8 wt.

Remember that spot as shared a season or so ago fishing gurglers at the end. Well same place on the inside there were busting small Blues. Very feisty as you say if not over 4lbs.

I carry wire with me but one fish managed to bite through that unless it just failed.

Maybe if you’re still there you can find some on Outer Beaches if seals will leave you be.

Wow that’s some meeting to have with a GW. Bet you were glad you were on the jetty. They are coming real close to the beach edge.

I will not wade far at night now and then only on a real shallow reef or sand flat.

Mike

I never thought I would hear you say that Mike.  You are not hanging up the wetsuit, are you???

You should have fished with Dave and I at night on  ****flats this fall.  I had my head lamp on for a good chunk of the time to keep an eye out (in retrospect, I guess that this might  attract them, but at least I will see them coming!).

19 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Slip n slide

Fantastic you had fishing of that quality. I love that spot now. But I had a few times when both legs were down to my nethers in the bog. Worse as it neared high tide. Had to use line tray to lever myself out. It’s scary to have that happen in the dark of night.

So already bait is headed on its way. We found fish were not stupid to and the type and quality of your fly did matter quite a lot.

We had birds but not like you saw.  Next time out could be time for the 7 or 8 wt.

Remember that spot as shared a season or so ago fishing gurglers at the end. Well same place on the inside there were busting small Blues. Very feisty as you say if not over 4lbs.

I carry wire with me but one fish managed to bite through that unless it just failed.

Maybe if you’re still there you can find some on Outer Beaches if seals will leave you be.

Wow that’s some meeting to have with a GW. Bet you were glad you were on the jetty. They are coming real close to the beach edge.

I will not wade far at night now and then only on a real shallow reef or sand flat.

Mike

Mike get "Mudders" I had similar problems early this year in the backwaters.  These were developed basically as mud snowshoes by a new englander out of New Hampshire and they are used by clam diggers.  I have been testing my pair out near my house since I had a scary mud run in this August on the southside of the Cape in a new area.  My opinion is they are worth the money if you plan to start fishing more estuary situations as soft mud will become a normal part of your life.  With them I am not scared of getting stuck and drowning, but I am still cautious when using them.

39 mins ago, ChuckCM said:

I never thought I would hear you say that Mike.  You are not hanging up the wetsuit, are you???

You should have fished with Dave and I at night on  ****flats this fall.  I had my head lamp on for a good chunk of the time to keep an eye out (in retrospect, I guess that this might  attract them, but at least I will see them coming!).

Its getting pretty concerning everywhere with GW densities increasing.  They are around Boston and the South Shore as seals are starting to migrate to this area too.  I have adopted knee deep or less at this point this year potentially for the rest of my life, because I have dodged death too many times in other venues to tempt it now fishing.  My lucky charms and nine lives are probably all used up at this point in time.  Its interesting in that I stopped wading deeper than knee deep in Alaska primarily to avoid drowning because the heavy current had a good chance of dislodging you once deeper than knee deep and taking you.  Glacial silt making swimming too difficult and will kill you unless in a true drysuit that keeps it out of clothing.  Here I find myself doing it again to avoid potential hazards of a different kind.  

THS

Thanks. I will invest in a pair of Mudders that’s for sure. It gets exhausting trying to lever yourself out of a sod bank bog hole especially when both legs are right down..

You get clear and next step down you go again.. Not much fun. Water I can manage but bog mud is tricky.

The GW  are with us and I don’t wish to be swimming amongst them. A few of us TH guys in a group,I belong to love to wet suit but not on the Cape now.

OK north side flats in day up to chest deep not quite such a problem unless we got very unlucky. The guys raking  sand eels have not been attacked     Yet.

These sharks don’t seem too troubled by shallow water. Their food lives in it.

At night the need to wade more than ankle,or knee deep is not great mostly so,will have to settle,for that.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

1 hour ago, ChuckCM said:

Chuck

I wish I had been with you that night. Dave described it to me. Easy to get lost on that flat. At least you fished it on the spring tides when there was likely to be fish on it and big ones at night. I fished  it during the day on neaps and should have known better as it totally sucks on neaps. 

The sand structure had changed a lot from the spring to. It is very easy to get disorientated at night there.

I went one day and had to bail out thanks to fog reducing visibility down to 50 yards.

When it’s on it is one of my favourite places to,fish.

I will not hang up my wet suits just won’t use them everywhere.

They are still a get out of Gail card if stuff goes wrong fishing fast inlets.

Mike

I guess if there's any upside it's that instead of replacing expensive waders we could start looking at buying hip boots instead.

Easier to get out of in the event you get stuck in mud or trip & fall.

2 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Chuck

I wish I had been with you that night. Dave described it to me. Easy to get lost on that flat. At least you fished it on the spring tides when there was likely to be fish on it and big ones at night. I fished  it during the day on neaps and should have known better as it totally sucks on neaps. 

The sand structure had changed a lot from the spring to. It is very easy to get disorientated at night there.

I went one day and had to bail out thanks to fog reducing visibility down to 50 yards.

When it’s on it is one of my favourite places to,fish.

I will not hang up my wet suits just won’t use them everywhere.

They are still a get out of Gail card if stuff goes wrong fishing fast inlets.

Mike

Yes, we know how valuable those cards can be!!!!

Be a cold day in hell HT before I ever go back to hip boots. Chesties let you lie down on the sand or wet  grass and help keep some of the weather off.

Good for wiping fish slime on to.

Oly

6 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

THS

Thanks. I will invest in a pair of Midders that’s for sure. It gets exhausting trying to lever yourself out of a sod bank bog hole especially when both legs are right down..

You get clear and next step down you go again.. Not much fun. Water I can manage but bog mud is tricky.

The GW  are with us and I don’t wish to be swimming amongst them. A few of us TH guys in a group,I belong to love to wet suit but not on the Cape now.

OK north side flats in day up to chest deep not quite such a problem unless we got very unlucky. The guys raking  sand eels have not been attacked     Yet.

These sharks don’t seem too troubled by shallow water. Their food lives in it.

At night the need to wade more than ankle,or knee deep is not great mostly so,will have to settle,for that.

mike

Mike I agree north side flats day time are probably still safe, but watch out at night.  I have started running into seals both in Barnestable and Brewester flats at night in the channels and the outer ocean edges of the flats.  The one trip I made in August I kept hearing the seals a few yards out in the darkness so kept ankle deep.  Oddly enough with that much seal activity I though fishing would be bad, but I did pretty well out there.  When sun came up the bite died then I saw there were about 14 seals about 50 yards away from me, which in my mind is more than enough food to incentive's a shark to come into waist deep water.  Day time you can see if the seals are around, but night time I just am assuming they are around and staying much shallower than I used to. 

TGS

Darwin would have you placed at the top of his list. Some risks just are not worth it. Risks that could mean death. Amazing how many take them without much thought.

Mikey

17 hours ago, slip n slide said:

south side in a harbor,fishing went to crap after it went through,lol,were some seals but a ton of blues,coulda been either it was after,eh?

So, the update from my end...I apparently saw ya at the end of the jetty yesterday as I was doing my usual morning inspections. And apparently saw you there again today. I was casting for a while from the little jetty at the inner harbor entrance. And think I saw that same fish you did. Can't be 100% sure, but just happened to be looking at a spot when a sizable dorsal appeared for a couple seconds, say 35 yrs off the jetty. It went right back down, not to be seen again. When it went down, there was a big boil. I scanned the whole area for close to 10 mins, but didn't see anything else. So I doubt it was a seal, or ocean sunfish, or cormorant, or something like that...they would've showed again. I didn't see a shark tail, so what I think I saw was just part of the dorsal...like the fish was deep enough that the tail didn't show. That's my guess. Stopped at the Harbormaster's office on my way out to ask if anybody had reported a sighting there, but that was the first they'd heard of it. This is the time of year, with cooling waters, when they get seen along my part of the South side (Chatham-Dennis). My only surprise, assuming I did in fact see a white (which would be my first sighting on the south side) is that it's still there.

I'm not sure which estuary you had the good luck at, but it could be the one I'll be at later this PM. I'm lucky and have access to a yak from the boathouse next to the landing, which is a lot better than walking through the mud.  I know that mud, I first met it about 40 yrs ago. :laugh: