Mike Oliver

Cape Cod Fishing Report

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Lt. Jangle said:

Me and  SlipNslide made it to the cape earlier today. Went out and fished some of the creeks after getting in.  Nice numbers, good fights!

Nice avatar! 

Good to hear you found fish.

JC

12 hours ago, Lt. Jangle said:

Me and  SlipNslide made it to the cape earlier today. Went out and fished some of the creeks after getting in.  Nice numbers, good fights!

That's good to hear , we are arriving Sunday pm some time ,look out for 2 bald Scotsmen that will be us!

On 9/26/2018 at 4:53 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Yes but you are a modern guy who is connected to his inner self.

Me I am a Philistine rough  arsed old git.

The pain just takes longer to strike. But strike it will.

But heh we got the spring run to look forward to.

My wish would be to start mid Sep and not leave until the Stripers and bait decide it’s time to go. That is on my bucket list.

Mike

Ditto Mike, we are booked for 9/13 /2019!

Bob 

I know I had dinner with F and R on our last Friday and F said you were booked in.

The knowledge you gleaned this fall will keep you in really good stead for next year. Us to. Big thanks to slip n slide who in all honesty and because I was stupid we did not heed for the first week . But when we opened our minds we had great sport. Nothing big but lots of them and lots of excitement.

Still will not bother with chasing Albies from the beach. For me it’s a too small a percentage game.

Not sure yet where I am going to be next fall. But it will be somewhere over the Atlantic.

You need two weeks Bob. You could try opening up a second week and when you have the numbers get another week booked. Two weeks is not much more expensive as just one week.

You would think guys would be gagging to come.

Cape in the fall is from a tourist angle well and truely closed. But Larry’s PX will still serve breakfast. The Bass will still bite. What more do we need.

oly

3 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Bob 

I know I had dinner with F and R on our last Friday and F said you were booked in.

The knowledge you gleaned this fall will keep you in really good stead for next year. Us to. Big thanks to slip n slide who in all honesty and because I was stupid we did not heed for the first week . But when we opened our minds we had great sport. Nothing big but lots of them and lots of excitement.

Still will not bother with chasing Albies from the beach. For me it’s a too small a percentage game.

Not sure yet where I am going to be next fall. But it will be somewhere over the Atlantic.

You need two weeks Bob. You could try opening up a second week and when you have the numbers get another week booked. Two weeks is not much more expensive as just one week.

You would think guys would be gagging to come.

Cape in the fall is from a tourist angle well and truely closed. But Larry’s PX will still serve breakfast. The Bass will still bite. What more do we need.

oly

The creek I told you of to fish was on fire the night we got there.Hit the water 3P on swan pond; zip/nada and @ 4P we were at the creek I suggeted to you.We could could see all the birds from the parking lot! Water was on fire w/ fish but not totally stupid,were actually picky till I tried a new pattern that was killing SMB back home this year and it was the ticket! We fished till the tide all ran out and bigger fish were half out of the water chasing bunker,absolutely lost track of #'s,all up against the banks in deep cuts.We were witness to that last year in the 1st wk of Oct and afterwards the creek was empty of all but a few bass.Fortunately,we were witness to it again this year on the day we got here as the creek is once again absent of bass.We'll get a few on the outgoing at the very mouth but up inside it's quiet.

This AM we fished a jetty in a harbor to bustin blues from 5AM to 10-something,all between 2-4lbs but feisty.Not what we came for as albies were caught off the same jetty and while we planned to stay and fish on the wind picked up and turned the water dirty.Right about the time the water started to turn I saw what I thought was a juvenile whale start toward me on the jetty and as I saw it slide by I could see by the tail it was not a whale but a HUGE freakin shark! The head and abdomen of this thing was ridiculously large it was hard to comprehend as i'd never seen anything that big in my life in the wild.I've seen some big-arse brown bears in AK and this thing coulda ate them for lunch! 14' maybe? Was a BW 13' anchored nearby it swam past and it was easily longer.For some reason my fishing buddy does not want to go out in my Gheenoe today in that harbor....? 

Slip n slide

Fantastic you had fishing of that quality. I love that spot now. But I had a few times when both legs were down to my nethers in the bog. Worse as it neared high tide. Had to use line tray to lever myself out. It’s scary to have that happen in the dark of night.

So already bait is headed on its way. We found fish were not stupid to and the type and quality of your fly did matter quite a lot.

We had birds but not like you saw.  Next time out could be time for the 7 or 8 wt.

Remember that spot as shared a season or so ago fishing gurglers at the end. Well same place on the inside there were busting small Blues. Very feisty as you say if not over 4lbs.

I carry wire with me but one fish managed to bite through that unless it just failed.

Maybe if you’re still there you can find some on Outer Beaches if seals will leave you be.

Wow that’s some meeting to have with a GW. Bet you were glad you were on the jetty. They are coming real close to the beach edge.

I will not wade far at night now and then only on a real shallow reef or sand flat.

Mike

You'll get fish (although mostly small the closer to the end of the season we get) for most of October on an average year, and well into Nov on a good/mild year...And if you're willing to be mobile and fish other parts of New England (think RI), you might even stretch the season into December (not counting holdovers)

53 mins ago, squammer said:

First year fly fishing -- how long does the striped bass season last in Chatham (I'm in Pleasant Bay) and Brewster flats?

Until you stop catching them.

Mike

1 hour ago, albacized said:

You'll get fish (although mostly small the closer to the end of the season we get) for most of October on an average year, and well into Nov on a good/mild year...And if you're willing to be mobile and fish other parts of New England (think RI), you might even stretch the season into December (not counting holdovers)

Very helpful!

3 hours ago, albacized said:

Tony Stezko caught his #73 off Nauset on November 3rd. I've caught occasional bass there as late as Thanksgiving. There ain't many, but most guys stop before all the fish are gone.

7 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Slip n slide

Fantastic you had fishing of that quality. I love that spot now. But I had a few times when both legs were down to my nethers in the bog. Worse as it neared high tide. Had to use line tray to lever myself out. It’s scary to have that happen in the dark of night.

So already bait is headed on its way. We found fish were not stupid to and the type and quality of your fly did matter quite a lot.

We had birds but not like you saw.  Next time out could be time for the 7 or 8 wt.

Remember that spot as shared a season or so ago fishing gurglers at the end. Well same place on the inside there were busting small Blues. Very feisty as you say if not over 4lbs.

I carry wire with me but one fish managed to bite through that unless it just failed.

Maybe if you’re still there you can find some on Outer Beaches if seals will leave you be.

Wow that’s some meeting to have with a GW. Bet you were glad you were on the jetty. They are coming real close to the beach edge.

I will not wade far at night now and then only on a real shallow reef or sand flat.

Mike

Outer beaches have been thrashing,would like to go as soon as I can get near.

That shark has me kinda freaked out about wading as he was very close to shore!

8 hours ago, ChuckCM said:

He was thinking "breakfast"!  Bay or ocean side?

south side in a harbor,fishing went to crap after it went through,lol,were some seals but a ton of blues,coulda been either it was after,eh?

30 mins ago, slip n slide said:

Outer beaches have been thrashing,would like to go as soon as I can get near.

That shark has me kinda freaked out about wading as he was very close to shore!

This is the time of year, with cooler water, when whites are occasionally spotted on the South side.

I don't know what to say...I guess, like everybody else now, I'm evaluating what to do.