Mike Oliver

Cape Cod Fishing Report

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2018 at 8:34 AM, RJ said:

Albies have moved in the beaches from Falmouth to Coutuit according to the Salty Report.    Keep on plugging!  The Caboose Crew has booked a week in Sept. 2019.  It is  a week deeper into Sept. than this year.  

The Fall Fishery is a learning curve and we expect next year will be better.  We expanded our inshore beach patrols and found three new sports.we overlooked in the Spring..   The bait coming out of the salt ponds was unbelievable.  Screaming Birds and Tide Change blitz's were awesome. Spearing and Peanut bunker were the majority mature sand eels on occasion.  It was a good week.  Small fish, great meals, Venison, Mussels, Clams, etc.  Rick and Dave did kayak trips at night and enjoyed to new approach.

When I arrived back in NJ I felt 10 years younger.  The Jersey Beaches are starting to see bait moving south and increased predator action.  Cape Cod was the Warm up and NJ will be the Migratory Game thru early December.  2.5 miles tothe beach and 2 miles to the Boat launch on the Navesink River..

Have you tried throwing sand worms in the Shrewsbury and navesink. Home if the west coast striper

3 hours ago, shad said:

Sounds tough fishing, did it pick up?

Hope so I'm flying over on Saturday for a week, any pointers would be a big help.

There are a ton of small bass and blues, and the albacore are starting to find a better level of consistency. Where are you flying in from and what part of the cape are you fishing?

Yes it did pick up with small fish.

The fall is late. Water very warm and so was the air.

There is a ton of bait in the creeks. That has to come out some time soon.

When it does it could  be bonanza.

The seals will make Outer  Beaches pretty much impossible. An important part of the migration route.

They stole so many of our fish we had to move to other places.

Fly wise you need peanut bunker. You really do need them.

Make sure they are foul proof to. The ones I tied with EP were a sad joke.

They quickly turned into balls of tangled snot.

Slinky fibre might be your friend.

Good luck.

Mike

1 hour ago, albacized said:

There are a ton of small bass and blues, and the albacore are starting to find a better level of consistency. Where are you flying in from and what part of the cape are you fishing?

Flying in to Providence from Edinburgh, we will have a day down between Westerly and Narragansett then drive to Dennisport. 

We will be fishing all over the cape,wherever we find fish anyway. 

Good to hear there are plenty schoolies,at least there's fish about.

23 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Yes it did pick up with small fish.

The fall is late. Water very warm and so was the air.

There is a ton of bait in the creeks. That has to come out some time soon.

When it does it could  be bonanza.

The seals will make Outer  Beaches pretty much impossible. An important part of the migration route.

They stole so many of our fish we had to move to other places.

Fly wise you need peanut bunker. You really do need them.

Make sure they are foul proof to. The ones I tied with EP were a sad joke.

They quickly turned into balls of tangled snot.

Slinky fibre might be your friend.

Good luck.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I will tie some baby bunker , I  have tied a lot of short decievers thinking they would cover it.

I know what you mean about ep flies , not much good for repetitive cast fishing.

Will probably avoid the ocean side although I love sighting fish in a surf .

Cheers for the info, you have made my day!

Colin

Colin

Hope this cheers you as well. I was forced to use white Deceivers in a size. 2/0. All I had. They worked pretty good. Also I fished a size 1/0 Bay Anchovey which I tye with two or four small feathers along with bucktail. They worked really well.

But the real deal would have been better. Fish would follow and turn away a lot.

When really on it as in blitzing it was easier.

1/0 is small enough and yet still strong enough to fight bigger Stripers I think.

First time in a long time I used a floater.

Steve I mended it and mended  it and did all sorts of strange things with it and it got me fish that my trusty I Line could not have got.

How about that then. Old dogs can learn new tricks if you bark at them for long enough.

I would not totally give up on Outer  Beaches. Night time seals were at their worst. Day time bad but not so bad.

The Bay side might surprise you if tides are nice and big.

You should get into shed loads of fish now.

Mike

36 mins ago, shad said:

Flying in to Providence from Edinburgh, we will have a day down between Westerly and Narragansett then drive to Dennisport. 

We will be fishing all over the cape,wherever we find fish anyway. 

Good to hear there are plenty schoolies,at least there's fish about.

Shad,

I live in Narragansett.  We've had basically the same spotty fishing on the beaches as the Cape.  Don't ignore the estuaries.  In the last week I've seen large fish harassing bait on the flats during strong incoming tides.  Be careful, Bluefish are mixed in.  I was fishing a popper fly to a school of tailing Bass in Narrow River earlier this week and a Blue shredded the 25' flourocarbon tippet.  Mike's right, the ponds and creeks are loaded with acres of Peanut Bunker, some Mullet, as well as the usual Silversides and Bay Anchovie.

Mark

Colin

I don’t fish often during the day but we had some of our best fishing well after first light and into late morning. Even late afternoon one day.

key heavy bait trapped and Bass just smashing them. Nothing new.

But night time was still way way better taken as a whole.

Saw a few Fly guys but nothing like in the spring . Night time not a single one accept for Jeffsod.

Fall is magical but boy I have a lot to learn about the changesto the  fishery compared to the spring one. That’s a fun challange.

Good luck

You will get into them big time.

Mike

35 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Colin

Hope this cheers you as well. I was forced to use white Deceivers in a size. 2/0. All I had. They worked pretty good. Also I fished a size 1/0 Bay Anchovey which I tye with two or four small feathers along with bucktail. They worked really well.

But the real deal would have been better. Fish would follow and turn away a lot.

When really on it as in blitzing it was easier.

1/0 is small enough and yet still strong enough to fight bigger Stripers I think.

First time in a long time I used a floater.

Steve I mended it and mended  it and did all sorts of strange things with it and it got me fish that my trusty I Line could not have got.

How about that then. Old dogs can learn new tricks if you bark at them for long enough.

I would not totally give up on Outer  Beaches. Night time seals were at their worst. Day time bad but not so bad.

The Bay side might surprise you if tides are nice and big.

You should get into shed loads of fish now.

Mike

Mike,

A swung fly, or as Steve does, a gang of three, on a floating line in the estuaries is the ticket.  Shad are fun, but they are in on every other cast this time of year (this year is no exception). I've found that the multiple fly rig tends to discourage them.  Steve has even got me using a floater in the Right conditions and Right locations outside.

Mark

2 mins ago, 02807Fish said:

Mike,

A swung fly, or as Steve does, a gang of three, on a floating line in the estuaries is the ticket.  Shad are fun, but they are in on every other cast this time of year (this year is no exception). I've found that the multiple fly rig tends to discourage them.  Steve has even got me using a floater in the Right conditions and Right locations outside.

Mark

One thing I will add, if a Shad is on strip in slowly.  I've had more than one good size Bass steal them.  Once in a while they'll hook themselves.  I know that will attract disagreement, but I still consider that fly fishing.

Mark 

It legit and fun.  Thanks for tips with multiple fly rig.

The floater is certainly going to get more air time from now on. Outside as well as in.

The learning never  stops. We are so lucky. 

mike

8 hours ago, shad said:

Sounds tough fishing, did it pick up?

Hope so I'm flying over on Saturday for a week, any pointers would be a big help.

Fish the estuaries,the open beaches don't have a lot of bass right now unless they're on top of bait

Staying in Dennisport? Me too.Where are you staying? Might be able to help you get into some fish.The fall pattern is no mystery to me,got it down.

Mike's right,peanut bunker flies rule this time of year.