Mike Oliver

Cape Cod Fishing Report

16 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear Mike.  Was hoping to get down while you're there but things aren't favorable at work either  :)    Hope you avoid any of the nasty weather.

HT

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

Sorry to hear Mike.  Was hoping to get down while you're there but things aren't favorable at work either  :)    Hope you avoid any of the nasty weather.

HT

HT, nasty weather = fish!

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:11 PM, Mike Oliver said:

After Five days of fishing. No gloves or finger tape required.

I think it’s called a challange.

Mike

Keep hunting....They're here.You've got to keep moving.Some real drag rippers are mixed in."Bottom is King"!

Didn't realize you're on this side of the pond...hopefully you find some good luck for the duration of your trip

Thanks guys.

We are learning a new fishery to us season wise. So ok for us it’s tough but that does not mean we are not enjoying it.

We are finding plenty of peanut Bunker and spearing. One day on north side we had fun fishing with Bass pounding them and in day light. We were on an all day recce and got lucky.

It did not repeat in same spot.

Never seen so many seals on outer beaches. Almost impossible to fish them. 

We have had several dish stolen by seals. When it happens at night it’s quite scary when just 6 feet away.

A week left. So it’s thinking cap on and keep on trying.

No one said it had to be easy.

Met JeffS one evening and we might get to share a Guinness or three sometime in the week.

Cape wonderfully quite with few Fishers in the week and roads empty.

Water very warm and so it feels more like August fishing than September.

Mike

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Thanks guys.

We are learning a new fishery to us season wise. So ok for us it’s tough but that does not mean we are not enjoying it.

We are finding plenty of peanut Bunker and spearing. One day on north side we had fun fishing with Bass pounding them and in day light. We were on an all day recce and got lucky.

We have had several dish stolen by seals. When it happens at night it’s quite scary when just 6 feet away.

Met JeffS one evening and we might get to share a Guinness or three sometime in the week.

Mike

Mike shoot me a message will try to help put you on fish.  My fly gear is buried with home sale but I kept a convenience surf rod availabe.  Was able to get out this morning and got three big keepers one was 21lbs.  Going to try and dig fly gear out of moving boxes to get out fishing 9/24 and 9/25 for peak tides

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Mike it was a great pleasure to run into and fish with you guys on Friday night! Too bad the fishing was slow. I must admit the next morning I received a last minute invitation to go out and fish yes by boat in the monomoy rips and we did very well. The weather and fishing both Saturday and Sunday was superb. Sorry we didn't get to meet up Saturday evening for a pint but we were already into our second homemade mai-tai and were just getting ready to grill up some fresh striper when you rang. Maybe later this week we can meet up again.

Cheers Jeff. It was good to meet up. Brilliant that you got into fish even if from a boat. The tug is just the same. We continue to slow pick. Last night managed one fish and dropped five on the bounce. Hook checked after first loss and last. It was fine. But contact was made.

If only could live hear for a year might then be able to unlock some of the code.

But the fun is tryingand searching for your own fish.

O’Shays is becoming a good habit for us and beats having to cook.

Hope we get that pint in.

Mike

Albies have moved in the beaches from Falmouth to Coutuit according to the Salty Report.    Keep on plugging!  The Caboose Crew has booked a week in Sept. 2019.  It is  a week deeper into Sept. than this year.  

The Fall Fishery is a learning curve and we expect next year will be better.  We expanded our inshore beach patrols and found three new sports.we overlooked in the Spring..   The bait coming out of the salt ponds was unbelievable.  Screaming Birds and Tide Change blitz's were awesome. Spearing and Peanut bunker were the majority mature sand eels on occasion.  It was a good week.  Small fish, great meals, Venison, Mussels, Clams, etc.  Rick and Dave did kayak trips at night and enjoyed to new approach.

When I arrived back in NJ I felt 10 years younger.  The Jersey Beaches are starting to see bait moving south and increased predator action.  Cape Cod was the Warm up and NJ will be the Migratory Game thru early December.  2.5 miles tothe beach and 2 miles to the Boat launch on the Navesink River..

Edited by RJ

On 17/09/2018 at 8:34 AM, RJ said:

Albies have moved in the beaches from Falmouth to Coutuit according to the Salty Report.    Keep on plugging!  The Caboose Crew has booked a week in Sept. 2019.  It is  a week deeper into Sept. than this year.  

The Fall Fishery is a learning curve and we expect next year will be better.  We expanded our inshore beach patrols and found three new sports.we overlooked in the Spring..   The bait coming out of the salt ponds was unbelievable.  Screaming Birds and Tide Change blitz's were awesome. Spearing and Peanut bunker were the majority mature sand eels on occasion.  It was a good week.  Small fish, great meals, Venison, Mussels, Clams, etc.  Rick and Dave did kayak trips at night and enjoyed to new approach.

When I arrived back in NJ I felt 10 years younger.  The Jersey Beaches are starting to see bait moving south and increased predator action.  Cape Cod was the Warm up and NJ will be the Migratory Game thru early December.  2.5 miles tothe beach and 2 miles to the Boat launch on the Navesink River..

Cheers Jeff. It was good to meet up. Brilliant that you got into fish even if from a boat. The tug is just the same. We continue to slow pick. Last night managed one fish and dropped five on the bounce. Hook checked after first loss and last. It was fine. But contact was made.

If only could live hear for a year might then be able to unlock some of the code.

But the fun is tryingand searching for your own fish.

O’Shays is becoming a good habit for us and beats having to cook.

Hope we get that pint in.

Mike

On 9/16/2018 at 7:02 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Thanks guys.

Mike

I want to kill a seal with a beach priest