Fish grips

Rate this topic

jeffapeikin

who here uses fish grips to land their fish? I normally bring them along, but haven’t had anything to really use them on until recently. 

Recently, another fisherman caught a bass and it was in the rocks. I offered my fish grips to try and be helpful. But he and his friend ended up landing her. It was sketch as the fish was in the rocks at the bottom, raining l, and a good sized fish with ametures any stories of when carrying a pair was the diff between a fish lost. Also, if not using grips and you’re fishing a jetty/seawall how do you land your fish? 

Edited by jeffapeikin

Longer, heavy leader that you can grab and not cut your hand.  Even better if you can get a wrap around you hand from where you are standing on the jetty. Grab leader, lift fish with the leader (not with your rod)

I carry a fish grip but only use it to control a fish AFTER I land it safely on a rock, beach, etc.  I feel like trying to reach down in rock and get the fish grip right where it needs to be is just asking to slip or fall.

Not too many times on the rocks-but wade fishing it's a great tool. Some posts here say that it damages the mouth if you lift the fish out of the water. I like to leave them half way in when I unhook. Great control. Excellent for transport if you keep one and they float. Light enough to clip to a vest or keep in a pocket when traveling light.

Must have for blues.

Thanks. Yeah I do tie a leader to a barrel swivel and learned from her to make it as many feet as the jetty I’m standing on. I guess my question arose from how to assist others with landing their fish when you don’t know what type of line they’re using. I guess the answer is leave them to worry or or they ask they quickly ask if they are using a leader. I had grips attached to my plug bag on this trip and I offered them , but realized I would have to give them the plug bag as I couldn’t quickly remove the plastic grips. Good points and love hearing landing techniques from the more experienced fisherman out there.

2 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

Must have for blues.

Absolutely. The end of my plastic fish grips are nice and scraped up from those demon teeth, lol. I actually use it on all fish...fish grip in one hand and pliers in the other allows me to worry less about any hooks in my hands.

Edited by Romer Treece

They’re worth bringing along for blues, but also for instances where the front treble is in a green fish’s mouth and the rear is loosely fouled keeping you from properly lipping it. I’ve had the rear break loose and get me before, no bueno with a green fish is still hooked on the other treb.

8 hours ago, ShoreThingNJ said:

Longer, heavy leader that you can grab and not cut your hand.  Even better if you can get a wrap around you hand from where you are standing on the jetty. Grab leader, lift fish with the leader (not with your rod)

I carry a fish grip but only use it to control a fish AFTER I land it safely on a rock, beach, etc.  I feel like trying to reach down in rock and get the fish grip right where it needs to be is just asking to slip or fall.

Thank you sir. Just wanted to get an idea before my next outing. There was a 36 “ caught last time out. Also, never know when a larger than that fish may come around. I used the leader to pull a 27” blue out of the rocks on Memorial Day. That was awesome! 

1 hour ago, kurazy kracka said:

Been there, dont see being able to drag the 40-45lb up the rocks by the leader. 

I use a boga so I dont need to lip the fish. Fish flipping around with hooks swinging and getting buried while trying to lip it sucks. 

Thanks for the reply. I think maybe with a wrap and then a pass up to a buddy it’s doable. I’ll just begin to work out. Haha seriously. 

2 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

Been there, dont see being able to drag the 40-45lb up the rocks by the leader. 

I use a boga so I dont need to lip the fish. Fish flipping around with hooks swinging and getting buried while trying to lip it sucks. 

Guess it depends on the jetty.  The 36 “ er was looking pretty subdued after just laying belly up . I’d rather not lip the fish. Guess a boys or a leader wrap around the hand would both work depending on waves crashing.