ChuckCM

Can anyone identify this?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

We found this while fishing a Cape Cod beach.  Any thoughts re; what type of creature this is from? Here are some observations:  1) it is a skull; 2) it looked like cartilage not bone (so, probably not a seal); 3) the head looked like it had been severed from the body rather than separated from decomposition; 4) big eye sockets (you may need to enlarge to get a better perspective); 5) no teeth.  To get a sense of size, the foot in the picture is an 11.  

IMG_20180908_155629.jpg

11 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

Turtle?

Yes, could be.  Sorry for quality of picture.  Here is a closer shot. 

Larger.jpg

Edited by ChuckCM

11 hours ago, Oakman said:

We need more information, what did it taste like?

I wish I knew!  Sorry you couldn't make it O, but as Mike O. said in later post, so far the Fall trip can't compare with the spring outing in terms of fish #'s. We had some good meals, though.

Dinner at Fran and Ron's 5.jpg

Edited by ChuckCM
Picture add

I found several of those or something very similar on the Cape this year.  I even brought one back to the rental house and considered bringing it back to my grandsons.

The name of what they are/were is ratting around in my memory banks and hasn't found its way to the surface yet.....but it will.

If the skull is truly cartilaginous and not bone then it HAS to be either a shark, sturgeon, skate/ray, or chimaera species.  I think I decided it was the skull of a skate or ray.....unknown species.

Still working on it.  Surely there has to be some old salt coaster who knows.....a finding the skulls must be a reglar thing.

Edited by Peter Patricelli

On 9/13/2018 at 8:51 AM, ChuckCM said:

I wish I knew!  Sorry you couldn't make it O, but as Mike O. said in later post, so far the Fall trip can't compare with the spring outing in terms of fish #'s. We had some good meals, though.

Dinner at Fran and Ron's 5.jpg

Damn that looks good.    Stuffed tomatoes?  What with ?    Mussels look great too.    You've got me drooling.    Another of Dave's creations ?

HT

7 hours ago, Peter Patricelli said:

I found several of those or something very similar on the Cape this year.  I even brought one back to the rental house and considered bringing it back to my grandsons.

The name of what they are/were is ratting around in my memory banks and hasn't found its way to the surface yet.....but it will.

If the skull is truly cartilaginous and not bone then it HAS to be either a shark, sturgeon, skate/ray, or chimaera species.  I think I decided it was the skull of a skate or ray.....unknown species.

Still working on it.  Surely there has to be some old salt coaster who knows.....a finding the skulls must be a reglar thing.

Peter,

I think you are right that it is a ray of some sort. I initially was leaning towards turtle, but tutles (or, at least, leatherback turtles, have a beak-like snout.

Chuck

5 hours ago, HillTop said:

Damn that looks good.    Stuffed tomatoes?  What with ?    Mussels look great too.    You've got me drooling.    Another of Dave's creations ?

HT

HT,

That was cooked by Fran using Dave's tomatoes.  Stuffed with Bob's venison.   We did a lot of walking, but I think I still gained weight.  Most of the week was quite.  Spoke with Dave today, though, and they found fish yesterday afternoon and albies today.  No albies were caught, but they were apparently running along shore.  I opted for RI today instead of driving back out to the Cape.  Skunked.  I should have kept going East.

Chuck

3 hours ago, ChuckCM said:

Peter,

I think you are right that it is a ray of some sort. I initially was leaning towards turtle, but tutles (or, at least, leatherback turtles, have a beak-like snout.

Chuck

A ray doesn't have that much structure inside it. But it doesn't really look like a turtle either. 

Off topic story, once I was fishing and there was a horrible smell, and when I was walking back to the car I took an alternate path and as I was rounding a corner I almost stepped on a deer carcass. Really weird

In case you were still wondering: the bone you found is the neurocranium of a fish. The neurocranium is essentially the top of the head of a fish as shown in the diagram below.I've also attached a diagram with different views of the neurocranium for reference. 1fish_skull_logo2.jpg

Only bony fishes have neurocraniums so it's not cartilage. The long bone you see at the top with the space below it is called the parasphenoid bone which is also part of the neurocranium. The reason it may not feel like bone is because for bony fishes (Osteichthyes is the taxon name), their bones develop from a cartilage model which is why their bones feel papery and also why fish bones continue to grow throughout their life unlike humans (this is why fish size varies a lot since they're constantly growing). The cartilage skeleton is what you will find in sharks and rays who do not have bones (Chondrichthyes is their taxon name), but in bony fishes like this one they develop bones from that cartilage model.

OIP.nhLnynrcxmAVyV6jkFtb2wHaF0.jpeg

Edited by Vela99
added relevant information