Poison Ivy warning

Rate this topic

night owl

I’ve never been sensitive to poison ivy until 2 years ago when I got it in my bloodstream through a couple leech bites.

Pulled em off after wading a mucky pond and walked through PI on the way back to the car. Some redness developed around the bite sites the following day and that night my foot started swelling and the rash/ infection got angry looking to the point I started tracing it with sharpie to track the progression.

Next morning I’m at emergency room and docs were taking pics of it and I’m signing wavers so they can use it for educational purposes.:laugh:

A strong course of Prednisone and some antibiotics and things improved quickly.

Now I’m guaranteed to get it with even the slightest contact. Big change in lifestyle for me.

I was poison ivy immune when I was a kid; played in it all the time.The other kids got it but not me.When I was about 35 I was fishing a small pond at the Cape that was loaded with it. I then found out what it was like to get it. I learned to avoid it after that day.

Poison ivy is nasty. A friend of mine ended up 3 weeks in the hospital and almost died because he inhaled the smoke from burning it in a firepit. 

Even if you aren't allergic to it now doesn't mean you won't be in the future.Your body is always changing. I wasn't allergic to it when I was younger but I am now. 

Not to go off topic but there is an interesting thing about the substance that makes poison ivy, oak etc irritating and possibly dangerous. 

There is a type of tree called the Asian lacquer tree, or  Toxicodendron vernicifluum, and it secretes a sap which is a pure form of the substance mentioned above, whereas its only a small percentage in poison ivy. So you can imagine how dangerous it is. But when it cures into a lacquer, it is more chemically stable than gold in some cases. 

In regards to poison ivy, I just avoid all funny looking plants and wear long socks most of the time. I am lucky enough to not have much sensitivity to poison ivy but my brother is the opposite and the few times he's gotten into contact with the stuff it sucks

On 9/12/2018 at 10:22 AM, snookster said:

As a child I was extremely allergic to poison ivy. I can recall my Mom saying that I got it by just looking at it. When I had a serious case of it, she would bring me bottles of saltwater to put on it. It seemed to help dry it up.

In my early teens about 60 years ago, a neighbor was burning brush which evidently contained poison ivy. I unfortunately was exposed to the smoke from the fire. The resulting case of poison ivy that I contracted was monumental. I think I had it everywhere. My hands were so infected that my fingers were spread apart from the blisters. It finally went away. The good news was that I never got it again. I can walk through it or pull it out of the ground and I am not affected. Keeping my fingers crossed.

That's really interesting. My neighbor told me his father, a German immigrant, made him and his siblings eat tiny amounts of poison ivy when they were kids and that he is now immune to it. I for one would never do that to my kids but it's an interesting concept and similar to getting allergy shots albeit not at all scientific and potentially dangerous. 

Just LOOK at this.... Crazy.....

I call this Poison Ivy path. Saw this today and thought about you bums. :) This is just one example of the many out there. I hadta share it cuz I thought the pic gives a good visual of what this evil actually looks like. Now I'm all itchy damn it.

So just a friendly reminder to be careful...

20180919_174843.jpg

Edited by night owl

1 hour ago, night owl said:

Just LOOK at this.... Crazy.....

I call this Poison Ivy path. Saw this today and thought about you bums. :) This is just one example of the many out there. I hadta share it cuz I thought the pic gives a good visual of what this evil actually looks like. Now I'm all itchy damn it.

So just a friendly reminder to be careful...

20180919_174843.jpg

Ok, now thats funny. I'm sitting in my truck about to head down to the water and see this. Guess where....

20180919_230624.jpg.5c88ade3914f3226d22e1af1d37ffcc9.jpg

BTW come back at night with eels.:howdy:

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

The stone footpath where many rats have left a footprint of time . One needs to be ever cautious for without question eels are good in the dark, but you need to ovoid the three leaves, that at times are hard to do.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

13 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Ok, now thats funny. I'm sitting in my truck about to head down to the water and see this. Guess where....

20180919_230624.jpg.5c88ade3914f3226d22e1af1d37ffcc9.jpg

BTW come back at night with eels.:howdy:

No need to guess.  BTDT!!!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher