Chipnice

Albies

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

They've been around for several days now.   This little guy ate a bunny fly thrown on a 7 wt  (I was looking for bonito).  Sorry for the gory picture.5b9abe5df13cb_IMGP04922.jpg.52b454d90c8aedca1ccc8d92d62f1ab8.jpg

On 9/12/2018 at 3:55 AM, nedakjohn said:

Albie-  Question, the albies i see in DE are too far for fly casting so I have tried to spin cast for them.  What is the preferred lure when spin casting for them.  Try for me does not equal success.  Any guidance appreciated.

Since this is a fly fishing forum, you will do better doing a quick search on the main and regional forums.

(But it is hard to go wrong with pink, anchovy and silverside colored 5/8 and 7/8 Hogy epoxy jigs, and Hogy 1 and 2 oz. peanut jigs.) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last year was an awesome year started. In Ct sept 11 to be exact thousands of fish showed in one very well know spot.

as for catching them I’ve been fly fishing for them since 1991 and back then it was almost only Bonita in eastern ct albies really started showing mid 90’s

but from shore I almost exclusively use a full sink line type 4 or 5 cuts the in your face wind!

I would always catch more albies than the guys using intermediate or floating lines most days when fish are being caught by blind casting if you see fish out in front of you don’t stop casting cause chances are if your on a jetty they will push in!

but when they’re running the wall it’s fun to put a cast out and see one come up and grab it!!!

I remember one day in RI no fish were showing I was near the tip of a well know spot and two of my friends were there saying fish were around but no one was catching any so I was casting a full sink line and letting it sink for about 10 seconds then stripping very slowly and started to hook albies blind so some days you have to adjust your methods..

check out Ed Mitchell’s book fly fishing estuaries great local spots and some of us local guys are in the book...

Edited by mkus

49 mins ago, mkus said:

Last year was an awesome year started. In Ct sept 11 to be exact thousands of fish showed in one very well know spot.

as for catching them I’ve been fly fishing for them since 1991 and back then it was almost only Bonita in eastern ct albies really started showing mid 90’s

but from shore I almost exclusively use a full sink line type 4 or 5 cuts the in your face wind!

I would always catch more albies than the guys using intermediate or floating lines most days when fish are being caught by blind casting if you see fish out in front of you don’t stop casting cause chances are if your on a jetty they will push in!

but when they’re running the wall it’s fun to put a cast out and see one come up and grab it!!!

I remember one day in RI no fish were showing I was near the tip of a well know spot and two of my friends were there saying fish were around but no one was catching any so I was casting a full sink line and letting it sink for about 10 seconds then stripping very slowly and started to hook albies blind so some days you have to adjust your methods..

check out Ed Mitchell’s book fly fishing estuaries great local spots and some of us local guys are in the book...

I’m getting stoked

14 hours ago, mkus said:

Love this book.  One of the most informative fishing books I've ever read.

1 hour ago, JCH said:

Love this book.  One of the most informative fishing books I've ever read.

Yep Ed’s a good friend of mine fished together for years he’s in Florida but is moving back to Ct

35 mins ago, mkus said:

Yep Ed’s a good friend of mine fished together for years he’s in Florida but is moving back to Ct

I fished the Essex River in MA for years.  I read his book, applied it to my fishing and my catch rate went up by 2X-3X.