Chipnice

Albies

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I finally made an albie bonito  trip to mass and Rhode Island.  I haven’t spent much time targeting these speedsters  I didn’t manage any but I did get to throw at a some which was pretty exciting.  I ended up taking a few long hikes to some well known and some not so well known jetties. I am going to have to  acquire more patience for this type of fishing as it seems to involve a lot of downtime waiting for pods to pop up. But I am committed to landing one on a homemade surf candy so I’ll be hitting the local jetty regularly after work and traveling to cleaner deeper jetties and beaches when I can find the time. 

I was wondering what you guys like to wear for spikes on the jetties I wore my korkers boots with the big spiked soles and they seemed fine on the wet weedy stuff but a little loose on the dry granite 

I used a 10weight sage with a rio intermediate striper line and was also curious if you sharpies feel its necessary  to use a clear tipped line  especially up north where the water seems clearer.  I d love to hear what your favorite lines for albies from jetties are and what the most popular leaders are .  

I just started reading Tom Gilmore’s book and i can already tell it will be great resource. I would love any suggestions this community may have on equipment, tactics, tides etc  that may help me with my latest obsession.

thanks

Edited by Chipnice

Posted (edited)

Don't wait for them to pop up. A lot of hardtails are caught blind casting.

As for lines, it is not necessary to use a clear tip. I have caught them on intermediates but prefer sinkers or sink tips.

Edited by DAQ

Agreed with the sinker lines...and just to further the point on blind casting. In the past week, I've had dozens of shots at bonito (to which I was both fly and spin fishing)...and it was only this past Sunday that I finally stuck a fish (on spinning gear) from a school of breaking fish...they are finicky as all heck...

On the other hand, on Friday, I scored two bonito on the fly - both while blind casting...I actually never had a visual 'shot' that day

The only albie I caught so far this season was from a breaking school of fish (spinning gear), but have done quite well in the past blind casting flies and lures at them

Might be a tad early and the recent blow might have kept them a little off

ive found them to be finicky at first but then easier as the season progresses 

learned a lot of tricks over last coup,e years on rotating through flies to find what works on a given day

very soon my pets 

8A0C000F-4358-4894-9DA5-1D06F20E4BAF.jpeg

Albie-  Question, the albies i see in DE are too far for fly casting so I have tried to spin cast for them.  What is the preferred lure when spin casting for them.  Try for me does not equal success.  Any guidance appreciated.

1 min ago, nedakjohn said:

Albie-  Question, the albies i see in DE are too far for fly casting so I have tried to spin cast for them.  What is the preferred lure when spin casting for them.  Try for me does not equal success.  Any guidance appreciated.

Often depends what they are eating. Do you know ?

Posted (edited)

No.  Last year I just saw them in pods breaking up and down the beach.  I chucked diamond jig lures at them and had no luck.  I was retrieving as fast as I could to keep it high in the water column..  I imagine they were hitting medium bunker but no idea exactly was out there.  

Edited by nedakjohn

I actually prefer soft plastics (usually unweighted) when not fly fishing...in fact, while I by far prefer albies on the fly over spin gear, albie snax are the great equalizer in that argument as far as I'm concerned...an albie will not give you a visually better surface strike on any other offering (fly, spin or otherwise) than when they crash an albie snax...it's why I try to split time throwing a fly and casting albie snax at them

You want to throw say 1oz metal.  Also, I would suggest you not reel at breakneck speed.  Watch some of the videos out there on how albies feed and you can see why.

As others have said, don't wait for fish to show before casting. Blind cast all the time as you would when striper fishing. That is how I've caught the majority of my albacore. 

There are a few strategies that I have observed

one involves using an Ava jig so light that you can skip it across the surface

this seems to work well when the wind and chop is up

another is soft plastic doing the same thing

then there’s a hoagy epoxy tricks

then theres the fly fishing 3 minute anchovy start and stop trick

i do the same with a small bunny fly type pattern 

one thing is for sure

they eat better on crap days

2 hours ago, nedakjohn said:

Get yourself a wooden casting egg that will carry you fly to the target. This can also be done with a top water plug with the rear hooks removed but the eggs work best. Try all your fly patterns until you hit one. You can also fish the soft plastics behind the egg. I bought my eggs at Quonny Bait and Tackle. 

14 hours ago, steingm said:

Get yourself a wooden casting egg that will carry you fly to the target. This can also be done with a top water plug with the rear hooks removed but the eggs work best. Try all your fly patterns until you hit one. You can also fish the soft plastics behind the egg. I bought my eggs at Quonny Bait and Tackle. 

100% with steingm. 

Same principal, but not egg, just with two flies  rig, chose your best casting friendly top water fly pattern and with a 20 to  30lbs test flouro tie “off the hook bend “ (about 3’) from the top water pattern, if you know, rig  a  fly pattern profile close to the bait tha is present, I Iike nothing over 2” to start if I have no clue on what’s under, I like best to sight fishing this guys, blind casting is also effective, specially once the albies are on a “cicle hunting and feeding mode pattern”, I suggest to never run behind the albies,  just pick your spot (or locate bait) near the last area you know the fish show up  early before, I work my local spots by timing the fish hunting pattern usually from my local  “rock” is 5 to 20 minutes if the tide is right, personally I like a full contact retrieving but very SLOW retrieve, let the popper do the call, I don’t worked like a “popper” but more like a sliders or attractor pattern in shallow water, I let the “trailer fly” drop or sink but never lost contact on both the flies specially visually on the top water one this is also my strike indicator in 7 of 10 takes, if it goes under I literally have 2 seconds to lift or drop sideways that rod tip, if it’s on she will let you know.

amberguis show us on this amazing clip the  “hunting and feeding  mode pattern” from 16:05 on the albies, thank you Peter!

Good luck out there SOL.

I've done a lot fishing off the getty's and breachways off RI. I wear korkers because if you get one you have to go down and bring it in, other than that you can wear shorts. Fishing is more like hunting than fishing. Wait and you will see them coming, and if not you someone down the wall will see them.  I alway have 2 flies on and only once got 2 fish at time.  They usually go down and then come  back again.. On the breachways its all on the incoming tide. On the walls it doesn't matter as much.

Good luck. Its loads of fun.