Surfinusa86

Snakehead

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Here in Florida I catch bullseye snakehead.  It seems as if the new fisheries logic is kill it if you are going to eat it, or release it.  I can't say whether I agree or not.  I will say I enjoy catching other fish more.

On 9/11/2018 at 7:08 PM, Surfinusa86 said:

Does anyone target snakehead? If so do you release them?

I target them quite a bit. I do release them. In Maryland, you can put them back. 

They are awesome creatures - no way I kill them unless its for dinner. 

We got some giants down here in MD. I’ve caught two 9 lbers so far with a few others from 5-9lbs. You get some nice LM as bycatch too.  Hot bait was buzzbait then a frog but never got my chatterbait game up but I’ll be trying it this year

Are they worth fishing for this time of year?

They are already in the Delaware, Schykull, and as far as the Congowingo Dam on the susquehanna and up to the dam of Octoraro lake.  Not sure what else the state wants to do since they are already here. They tried killing them on the Octoraro creek and it didnt work.

11 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Are they worth fishing for this time of year?

They are already in the Delaware, Schykull, and as far as the Congowingo Dam on the susquehanna and up to the dam of Octoraro lake.  Not sure what else the state wants to do since they are already here. They tried killing them on the Octoraro creek and it didnt work.

I don't think so Derrick. They bury in the mud and hibernate according to research done by VA Fish and Game. 

And after seeing the pictures of fry balls after they spawn, that ship has sailed. Once they are there, they are there. 

If you go on YouTube and search "John Odenkirk snakeheads" there is a great Q&A series with him about Snakeheads. He is a biologist with VA F&G. Answers a lot of questions and concerns IMO. 

Edited by PhilCVG