9/11 lets not forget the sacrifice

Rate this topic

codfish

3 mins ago, Nessmuk said:

Cops and Firefighters in particular.  If ever there was one, this is a day to show them appreciation, and maybe, for a day, let go of the political divide on their behalf.  At least insofar as to not twist the date into a political tool.

Spot on, thanks for sharing:) just a little follow up ? where were you on 9/11?

I was guiding whitetail hunting on Anticosti Island back then. I had just gotten back from the morning hunt. My two sports for the week were guys from New Jersey, but out of our 30 guests for the week, at least 20 were from the States.

We had satellite TV at the camp.

We all watched in disbelief.

Some folks fell on their knees and started crying.

Sad day.

Edited by snapper1

14 mins ago, codfish said:

Spot on, thanks for sharing:) just a little follow up ? where were you on 9/11?

Watching the news at the Squadron Operations desk, thinking about how we were going to help try and kill every single MFer that had anything to do with it, anyone who supported them, and anyone who thought like them.  We did our jobs the best we could.  We were in war mode before the second tower fell.

We took three calls that day from recent retirees asking to come back.

Mike Rowe speaks out...

“You’ve been very quiet about the Kaepernick PR disaster at Nike,” noted the commenter. “Any thoughts?”

He was referring to the controversial ad campaign with the former NFL quarterback who began the kneeling protests during the performance of the national anthem.

“Nike’s free to celebrate whomever they wish,” Rowe responded, “and Kaepernick is entitled to his opinion – kneeling, standing, or lying down. But if I was going to put someone’s face on a billboard – someone who epitomized bravery and sacrifice – I might have gone another way, especially this time of year. I might have gone with this guy – Tom Burnett.”

“Tom’s last act on earth was one of the most courageous things imaginable,” Rowe explained. “And his last words to his wife, Deena, are among the most inspiring I’ve ever heard. 

“They were spoken seventeen years ago,” he added, “under conditions I hope to never experience. I’ll never forget Tom’s last words. I hope you won’t either.”

Rowe added a transcript of Tom Burnett’s last calls to his wife, Deena, on 9/11, from the hijacked United Flight 93.

In the last call, Burnett tells his wife the passengers’ plan to stop the hijackers from using the plane to kill more Americans.

Tom: We’re waiting until we’re over a rural area. We’re going to take back the airplane.
Deena: No! Sit down, be still, be quiet, and don’t draw attention to yourself! (The exact words taught to me by Delta Airlines Flight Attendant Training).
Tom: Deena! If they’re going to crash this plane into the ground, we’re going to have do something!
Deena: What about the authorities?
Tom: We can’t wait for the authorities. I don’t know what they could do anyway.
It’s up to us. I think we can do it.
Deena: What do you want me to do?
Tom: Pray, Deena, just pray.
(after a long pause)
Deena: I love you.
Tom: Don’t worry, we’re going to do something…

The phrase “We’re going to do something,” was meant by Rowe to contrast with the campaign motto from Nike, which is, “Just Do It.”