libido airbag

Predictions...

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Great time for the wetsuit and korkers. I predict a few idiots going out on the West Wall in sneakers in the search for albies and losing a lot of gear though...

How is the swell up there now? I'm leaving the Outer Banks in a bit for my vacation up there. I can't imagine the swell would be very big with the storm being down here. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, xjclint said:

Great time for the wetsuit and korkers. I predict a few idiots going out on the West Wall in sneakers in the search for albies and losing a lot of gear though...

Having flashbacks to skate shoes and a cold afternoon in Barnegat a few years back. You where the only one who was prepared. If you can sneak out i might be there Sunday at this point, we shall see... 

Edited by libido airbag

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

and on the seventh day the lord said, "in big weedy water, throw top water, my son"

i haven't thrown topwater all year. Sounds like a pretty fun weekend. 

3 hours ago, xjclint said:

They may lose a lot more than their gear. :eek:

23 hours ago, Kooky said:

Last year I followed all but 1 and got my ass knocked off a rock and into the drink, line got tangled on my leg with a 40" fish on the other end.  Luckily i was in my spot to land the fish and had a way to get out or could have been ugly.  Was a chilling reminder of how quick things can turn, heard the wave behind me and next thing i knew i was looking at the sky in the water.

Phew..close one Kooky. If I showed my girl your post she'd run out and buy me an EPIRB. 

14 mins ago, SlackTideBri said:

Phew..close one Kooky. If I showed my girl your post she'd run out and buy me an EPIRB. 

Yeah i never told my wife about that one.  Had a messed up thumb for months.  Now in big swells i wear my wetsuit even if i dont plan on going in the water.  Just an extra measure of protection.  Everyone makes mistakes, just the smart ones learn from it. :laugh:

3 mins ago, Kooky said:

Yeah i never told my wife about that one.  Had a messed up thumb for months.  Now in big swells i wear my wetsuit even if i dont plan on going in the water.  Just an extra measure of protection.  Everyone makes mistakes, just the smart ones learn from it. :laugh:

I had a similar incident this spring on a SoCo jetty. Like you, I thought I was prepared, but I still ended up in trouble in a flash - one leg wedged between rocks, while a wave pushed me sideways. Luckily, I escaped with only scrapes and bruises.

Posted (edited) · Report post

We lost an experienced surfcaster to big waves here in the Newport surf back in 2011.

I was fishing the evening before and left before full dark because I was very uncomfortable with a flooding tide and big swells.

Next morning I hear on the local radio that there was a rescue/recovery of a fisherman happening at pre-dawn.  These are my home waters and I had a bad feeling that there was a good chance I would know who it was.  Found out shortly it was a friend Gary Mathias, 48 YO - he didn't make it.  Swept off the rocks when he turned his back for a second.  Man oh man be careful.   

Edited by DZ

30 mins ago, fishinbill said:

I had a similar incident this spring on a SoCo jetty. Like you, I thought I was prepared, but I still ended up in trouble in a flash - one leg wedged between rocks, while a wave pushed me sideways. Luckily, I escaped with only scrapes and bruises.

Theres one jetty in SoCo that give me the jeebs, one misstep and you go 8-9ft down into the rocks and wash. Happy you we're able to bail out of there.

Good discussion to have with all the turbulence out there and before fall run.

On 9/11/2018 at 0:23 PM, libido airbag said:

Yeah boats out most likely, even though it is a 16..5 fairly stable kayak. I would get swallowed haha

I wanted to continue my funnyfishing, but that is looking like less and less a possibility. Probably stick to the boulders. 

How do the bonito fare in heavy swells? 

This storm could kick off the bass. 

Bonito and albies love snot weather, as long as it doesn't also come with mud

1 hour ago, albacized said:

Bonito and albies love snot weather, as long as it doesn't also come with mud

Was waiting for you to chime in. You have restored my faith.