libido airbag

Predictions...

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

What do you guys think about this storm? super kicked up and weedy this weekend? . Everything is so unclear, but the surf report doesn't look great...  

I'm dfinitely hesitant to get in the yak...

Edited by libido airbag

Boat or Yak = no thanks.  Put your time in to find safe rocks to fish and land fish in storms like this and the results can be amazing or disappointing.  That's why its fishing and not catching.

Safe is smart, never turn your back on the ocean. Hear of guys getting swept off rocks every year with heavy surf conditions. Likely small craft advisorys the next week and a half so yak is out.

I feel its absolutely worth getting out there and putting in the time. Booked a 5 day SoCo trip for next week because the surf will be up for a while and we've not had any kind of weather to stir the pot. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yeah boats out most likely, even though it is a 16..5 fairly stable kayak. I would get swallowed haha

I wanted to continue my funnyfishing, but that is looking like less and less a possibility. Probably stick to the boulders. 

How do the bonito fare in heavy swells? 

This storm could kick off the bass. 

Edited by libido airbag

I'll be down all weekend with the boat in tow. If its that bad it will stay on the trailer and Ill be in the surf or on a handful of rocks. 

2 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

Safe is smart, never turn your back on the ocean. Hear of guys getting swept off rocks every year with heavy surf conditions. Likely small craft advisorys the next week and a half so yak is out.

I feel its absolutely worth getting out there and putting in the time. Booked a 5 day SoCo trip for next week because the surf will be up for a while and we've not had any kind of weather to stir the pot. 

Good advice there. This applies more to rock and ledge fishing but focus on what the next wave is going to do and stand as balanced as you can on a stable spot. Be wary of the backwash behind you. Those reflected waves can knock you off your feet as easily as the ones in front of you, and unless you have eyes in the back of your head you'll often never see them coming. It can be done....just need to be smart about it.

1. Never Turn your back to the ocean

2. Have a safe spot to land and release fish

3. Have an escape plan if you see a wave coming that is gonna be trouble ( and know where you would get out if knocked in)

Last year I followed all but 1 and got my ass knocked off a rock and into the drink, line got tangled on my leg with a 40" fish on the other end.  Luckily i was in my spot to land the fish and had a way to get out or could have been ugly.  Was a chilling reminder of how quick things can turn, heard the wave behind me and next thing i knew i was looking at the sky in the water.

Very good advice all the way through. Wetsuit cleats and a knife for sure. 

So. I’ve never tried funnyfish during a hurricane, I’ve gotten great bass..... 

think its a bust?

21 mins ago, SamWalker said:

Very good advice all the way through. Wetsuit cleats and a knife for sure. 

So. I’ve never tried funnyfish during a hurricane, I’ve gotten great bass..... 

think its a bust?

All depends on how clean the water is.

I fished a tropical storm in the 90s where albies went berserk in the whitewater with the blues and stripers. 

Water was clean except for the eel grass.

I have never once done well out front when the water was pounded sand and mung.

6 mins ago, mikez2 said:

All depends on how clean the water is.

I fished a tropical storm in the 90s where albies went berserk in the whitewater with the blues and stripers. 

Water was clean except for the eel grass.

I have never once done well out front when the water was pounded sand and mung.

Thank you. I fished the canal last year, when the storm hit. Wasn’t out for the funnies. This is very helpful. It’s been fun!