How long does your gear last?

Rate this topic

cubeconvict

I'm a complete newbie.  So far I have only been using trout gear I had on hand.  I can't jump in at the $300+ rig level and so I am shopping around for modest setups. Durability and all that is a top concern for me since I am new and will probably abuse things more than an experienced angler would.

My question is this... do you really think that a $200 reel lasts 4 times longer than a $50 reel, or whatever other math and multipliers you can think of?  Why not get $30-$50 reels and consider them kind of disposable?

Like a lot of folks when they started you go cheap, for me I started cheap next thing I knew I had a bunch of  cheap fishing gear I wasn't using ...... if you think surf fishing is for you then buy the third set up first ... if I lived closer to the beach and could fish more I just might drop the coin on a Van Staal or another one of those Daiwa Japan only disco surf spinning reels..... right now I'm eyeing a Penn Conflict II long cast spinning reels for the 11' and 10' custom rods. 

"Obamacare: the efficiency of the DMV, the compassion of the IRS"

I am running a FJ 6K series stradic, that was a 200-250 dollar reel when it was new. They are out of production at this point.. just replaced line roller bearing and handle knob bearing and full service. Ready to go for 2019 surf season. Daiwa BG is another good cheap surf reel if I was buying new and on a budget.

2 hours ago, cubeconvict said:

I'm a complete newbie.  So far I have only been using trout gear I had on hand.  I can't jump in at the $300+ rig level and so I am shopping around for modest setups. Durability and all that is a top concern for me since I am new and will probably abuse things more than an experienced angler would.

My question is this... do you really think that a $200 reel lasts 4 times longer than a $50 reel, or whatever other math and multipliers you can think of?  Why not get $30-$50 reels and consider them kind of disposable?

Cause your going to be spending considerably more time in Walmart than at the beach

Two things in life I love. Fishing, and looking at the wives pictures on the milk Carton

2 hours ago, cubeconvict said:

It's just not that simple. Quality between different manufacturers can vary quite a bit for starters. Not all $50'$75,$100 reels are created equal. The surf can eat reels alive if you let it. Some $200 reels could get destroyed pretty quickly if dropped in the wash and not cleaned out. If you wanted to get a cheaper reel, something to learn on? Something you can disassemble to clean and learn on without fear of running something you put a lot of money into. That might not be a bad idea but in general you're going to be disappointed with most inexpensive reels. As mentioned the Daiwa BG is a solid reel at a good price.

Edited by BRossi

For someone new to the sport I personally recommend a cheap outfit that can double for fresh, salt, Striper & Perch. This way if you move or the surf fishing is just a fad for you that might fade with time, then you still have a rod you can use inland and at lakes and rivers. My recommended outfit would be a Salmon/Steelhead series med-heavy action Ugly Stick (MSRP $70-80) and pair it with a good shimano reel, I like the AX 4000FB (MSRP $20-30), but has a low line capacity (175 yrds 12lb mono) so you may want something that can hold a little more line say 250-300 yrds of 12-15lb test dia. Why these choices? Well Ugly sticks are just about indestructible and although you lose some sensitivity with fiberglass, they hold up very well to my abuse and for the price to me a good value. The reel is a workhorse and I just wish they made a 5000 or 6000 series in that model, as I would buy a ton if they did, but the 4000 has served me well, like I said, line capacity is an issue. With this rig I have hooked everything from Blue gill at farm ponds to 25 lb salmon on the river to striper & perch on the beach.

I started off with a ~$60 penn reel and a ~$100 star rod.  The reel lasted me 3-4 seasons of heavy abuse before I gave it away.  The rod is still going and I use it often.  If you take care of the gear it will likely last a while even if it isn't top of the line.  Personally I liked going cheap to start as it gave me a few seasons to figure out what I actually wanted as far as reel size and weight and rod size and action.

• 3 weeks later...

Take care of your gear rinse off everything rod guides rod grips wipe off any debris or slime with a soft towel lightly spray the reel down with water and wipe it dry rinse off your hooks leader even your sinkers or lures and dry them occasionally lube the shaft of the reel and the handle a 20$ reel and a 30$ rod will last forever if your reel breaks buy the same model and use the old reel for parts 

You can spend $50-100 on a used Penn 704 or 706 (Spinfisher and Z) and it will last you forever. Quite literally. 

They have probably caught more fish than any spinner in history. 

Then you can figure out what high end reel suits your style moving forward. 

This reel is probably older than me and spins like a top. It’s relegated to bait fishing but could be used in any situation in a pinch. 

728069DA-A599-4DD3-8308-29C21A498574.jpeg

2 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

You can spend $50-100 on a used Penn 704 or 706 (Spinfisher and Z) and it will last you forever. Quite literally. 

They have probably caught more fish than any spinner in history. 

Then you can figure out what high end reel suits your style moving forward. 

This reel is probably older than me and spins like a top. It’s relegated to bait fishing but could be used in any situation in a pinch. 

728069DA-A599-4DD3-8308-29C21A498574.jpeg

Agreed. I picked up a 706z as a spare. But gonna spool it up and use it.

When purchasing fishing gear. Not only should you consider the durability and reliability. You may want to also include how comfortable the gear is, to fish with. You do not want to have unnecessary stress placed when fishing.

(*edited - member also formerly known as 'HolyHogy')