Capt.Castafly

Low Pressure Stripers

31 posts in this topic

I enjoy it as long as I feel safe where I'm fishing - just will need to find clean water free of weed.

I usually duck into the bay if the swells are too large.

Like last fall those coastal lows produced well. Worth taking a wave or two. With mass amount of small filter feeders and other bait along the coast how will the high surf, sand pollution and heavy weeds have an effect on them? Will they move out to seek cleaner water? 

The weed has more of an effect on us.  Hard to get them to bite if your presentation is fouled as soon as it hits the water.

That is why the simple single hook bucktail is often king during big water.

Stay safe everyone.

I was out last night and it was sketchy. Found a couple “safe” spots to get a couple casts in. I quickly retreated to the bay and found some schoolies with a couple bigger specimens mixed in as well. Stay safe out there and make sure you’re here to fish another day.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:56 AM, DZ said:

The weed has more of an effect on us.  Hard to get them to bite if your presentation is fouled as soon as it hits the water.

That is why the simple single hook bucktail is often king during big water.

Stay safe everyone.

Changing quite a few favorites over to single hook now. Dennis, are there more cons than pros to switching over all hooks to single on needlefish lures? Love how they cast and produce but wish to minimize weed fowling. Pictured are a few of the plugs considered for altering. 

20180913_084044.jpg

1 hour ago, SlackTideBri said:

Changing quite a few favorites over to single hook now. Dennis, are there more cons than pros to switching over all hooks to single on needlefish lures? Love how they cast and produce but wish to minimize weed fowling. Pictured are a few of the plugs considered for altering. 

Slack,

I've not fished any plugs with only singles vice trebles so I can't really say.  On occasion I've fished certain plugs with a rear single.

I would imagine you would miss a few more takes using singles exclusively, but when you do hook up the land ratio may improve especially with larger

fish that would/could gain leverage and bend out trebles.  Also stands to reason only two hook points on a plug would definitely catch less weed than 6 points.

Give it a shot.

Thank you and will give it a try. I'm a fan of needlefish lures and feel they may be underutilized. Looking to find happy mediums on favorite plugs that rake fewer weeds and are less damaging to fish released. Like the Captain posted low pressure systems are a great opportunity and we have to adapt to what they entail. 

Brian,

Give me a call when you guys get to SoCo and I'll do my best to get down there to catch a tide with you.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:02 AM, BNickW said:

I was out last night and it was sketchy. Found a couple “safe” spots to get a couple casts in. I quickly retreated to the bay and found some schoolies with a couple bigger specimens mixed in as well. Stay safe out there and make sure you’re here to fish another day.

I was out also and nothing. I thought the same. Storm coming- bite will be on. I even fished the fog in day time. Nothing. Maybe the storm is to far ?  It’s been dead.  

You can fish the low pressure early on before it gets real dirty.  The bait will end up being scattered as well as the storm worsens..

4 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Brian,

Give me a call when you guys get to SoCo and I'll do my best to get down there to catch a tide with you.

That would be great, like last fall. Drop you a call Monday, do what you can and we'll hit the surf.

9 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

That would be great, like last fall. Drop you a call Monday, do what you can and we'll hit the surf.

:hi5: