Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

OBX bridges

9 posts in this topic

I was last in Hatteras (Buxton) this past October.  There were a couple of bridges under construction. Are those bridges ready for use, yet?

Good luck to you guys. 

The Oregon Inlet bridge is not yet complete, I believe it should be completed by the end of the year.

The "temporary" bridge aka the "lego" bridge south of the Oregon Inlet has been complete for awhile now.

Everything south of the Oregon Inlet had a mandatory (residents and guest) at noon today, and for all parts north tomorrow morning.

I suspect 12 will be washed out on the Wednesday AM high tide, and impassable for a couple of days before the Atlantic calms down. Worse case, they activate the Stumpy Point ferry if 12 will be out for more than a few days. 

9 hours ago, Anton58 said:

I suspect 12 will be washed out on the Wednesday AM high tide, and impassable for a couple of days before the Atlantic calms down.

I am sure this will be the case, and I would also bet that portions of the road way and even the road bed are lost making travel dangerous even after the water recedes. this is what caused many of the access issues after Irene.  if the storm stalls and parks itself for a while it may end up pushing large amounts of water into the sound. it was this phenomenon that caused the breaches in 12 cutting from the sound back to the ocean.

fingers crossed that everyone stays safe and that damage is minimal. 

Posted (edited)

Ya. Wouldn't that stink if it cuts the road around the new inlet bridge. They did a nice job on that one. Was down at the Hatteras hotel last week.  Hope everyone fares well. It's crazy how you don't hear much about the OBX on the national news.

Edited by Dsc

When we were there in October, beach replenishment was in progress in front of the Cape Hatteras Hotel in Buxton. That sand will be gone; I wonder if the structure will survive. The fishing pier I visited was in decrepit shape anyway  . ... I wonder if Hatteras Jack's and Red Drum Tackle and Frank and Fran's will be OK?  Hope so. 

There were reports of overwash today in a couple of spots but no closures of 12. The permanent bridge that replaced the lego bridge is good, the bad part is that there is no dune between it and the ocean, so it is susceptible to overwash at the corners. 12 is vulnerable from Rodanthe north and I suspect it will wash out as Florence gets closer. South of Salvo is probably in better shape due to the beach replentishment in the Buxton area, but with the storm surge nothing looks good from Oregon inlet south. Note: in 2011, hurricane Irene, Cat 1, there was 39" of water in the carport of the house I was staying in off the beach in Waves. Florence is expected to make landfall at Cat 4 or 5. Hatteras Jack and the others should be ok, they should be able to withstand some flooding as they have done in the past. 

This won’t be good. Praying for the residents and of course the least amount of damage possible. I’m scheduled to go Oct 3 to the 14th. I hope for the best, but fear the worst.