Tibor Reels - Drag

Rate this topic

JCH

51 mins ago, bhorsley said:

I believe in the past Ted told me he used superlube with graphite powder for his reels.  They may have changed.  

I use a dry graphite lube from CRC. 10$ for a 10oz can, enough for about 6 lifetimes.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

5 hours ago, eagle73 said:

I only fish occasionally. I rinse Tibor Riptide, leave out to air dry then store in neoprene pouch. What else should I do? Thanks in advance

One drop of oil for handle and pawl dogs twice per year.

A couple of drops on cork, spread evenly with the finger and let it soak in.

Thin layer of grease on the drag plate where the pawl dogs engaging.

Or you can just use the Tibor graphite impregnated lube that most fly shops sell.  I use it on my Abels and think it's better than Neat's Foot Oil.  I once heard a rumor that Abel wanted to license it from Tibor, but Ted said no.  Islander recommends Super Lube, which works well on my trusty FR-2.

After playing with and fondling most every manner of saltwater reel available today (and yesterday) ... what I have and use ... what I'm left with ... in this order are Tibors (Freestone to Riptides), Islanders (FRs & LXs) and a Bauer (CFX5).

That is where I've put my money per my mouthing off. Cheers! ... and Catch a Big One!

RockfishOn!! :cool:

I've been very disappointed with the drags on my Tibors.  When my Riptide was new it could generate around 7# of drag when cranked down (the bare minimum I need for saltwater) and after a few years it couldn't generate more than 4#.  This is despite relaxing the drag whenever not fishing, lubricating it with the recommended lube, and good maintenance.  For big fish my Tibors are relegated to pure backup role unless I'm targeting small fish (less than 30#) then they are a primary reel (such as for bones, permit, etc).

• 4 weeks later...

I got my hands on a old Riptide. I played with many reels, including cork drag like Abel's, Bauer and Islander but the drag knob on Tibor is awfully hard to be cranked at max drag. Even after hard cleaning, lube it, I literally take of my skin from fingers when I get close to max, I feel like to take a plier for release it.....Is this normal or something is wrong with my reel? 

The drag also is far from being impressive ...

14 hours ago, Mark Ham said:

the drag knob on Tibor is awfully hard to be cranked at max drag. , I feel like to take a plier for release it....

I really took a plier last time to unscrew the drag knob. It can't be like that. Looking on schematics I can see a snap ring between drag plate and spool, which missing in my reel. I can't imagine how that ring stays on main shaft (no groove there) and also no room between cork and ball bearing. I guess I'm missing something here..???!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 6:00 PM, Mark Ham said:

I got my hands on a old Riptide. I played with many reels, including cork drag like Abel's, Bauer and Islander but the drag knob on Tibor is awfully hard to be cranked at max drag. Even after hard cleaning, lube it, I literally take of my skin from fingers when I get close to max, I feel like to take a plier for release it.....Is this normal or something is wrong with my reel? 

The drag also is far from being impressive ...

Sounds like something might be wrong with your drag...I can crank mine down to pretty much max drag, to the point where it won't tighten anymore, and I can loosen it no problem.

I contacted Tibor regarding my drag efficiency on my Tibor Riptide QC and then purchased from them, for the price of about $10, a film canister sized container of their graphite "grease" which the rep recommended. Also available at some good fly shops as I've recently learned. Applied it as instructed, drag has since worked amazingly well and I'll have enough of their graphite grease to last me a lifetime. I believe in using what the Tibor mfg. reps recommend as they should know best. I have all the other top notch "lubes" out there but the Tibor recommended graphite lube worked just fine for me and $10 didn't break the bank.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:56 PM, formula1 said:

Sounds like something might be wrong with your drag...I can crank mine down to pretty much max drag, to the point where it won't tighten anymore, and I can loosen it no problem.

I agree although I have a Riptide QC reel which I love. Drag was fine after a couple of years' usage although I have contacted Tibor reps directly as to advice about lubing the drag cork and increasing to drag original specs. Maintenance is key. Tibor reps helped me a lot as to how to lube the cork drag with their lube, which I purchased. $10, no big deal, for a quality flyreel.