gray gables

New reel? Penn slammer3?

13 posts in this topic

Anyone use one in the canal? Looks like a great reel, good gear ratio, good line pick up, good drag, power knob etc. For what it cost seems like nice deal. How's the casting on it also?

I'd go with the spheros over the slammer 3. Think you get more reel for your money. Or the BG. Unless the new slammer is a significant upgrade or you're tied to Penn products specifically.

Great reel for any where. A little on the heavy side due to the number of seals but put it on the rod and feel the bslance. Looking at the specs I felt that I was getting a better all around reel for the money. 

I can only speak for the 4500 size. It's great. Very smooth drag. Handles funny fish no problem. I bought a second because I liked the first so much.

I would say there are better options for the canal, though. 

I use a Slammer 3 HS 6500 at the canal with no problems. It casts well, the drag is smooth and it holds alot of line. It does feel slightly heavier than my other canal reels (Shimano's). I have no regrets purchasing this reel.   

I have the 3500 yes small but smooth plentty of drag i would imagine the larger sizes would be just the same , line lay on the reel is great also.

B3C28580-8557-4373-8BB1-2DCE87A07761.jpeg

25 mins ago, shark lobster said:

I have the 3500 yes small but smooth plentty of drag i would imagine the larger sizes would be just the same , line lay on the reel is great also.

was waiting for you to chime in. I can get a NIB 5500 for 200 shipped which is a good deal. 

I've got the 4500 and I end up using it more than my VS.  Super smooth, plenty of drag.  No complaints at all and would certainly pick up another if the opportunity arose 

19 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Listen to Chuck. He catches a lot of fish on his Slammer. 

On 9/10/2018 at 9:07 AM, dark_helmet said:

I'd go with the spheros over the slammer 3. Think you get more reel for your money. Or the BG. Unless the new slammer is a significant upgrade or you're tied to Penn products specifically.

I own both I prefer the Slammer. I was tied to Shimano spin reels for awhile (2000-2016). 

Edited by blacklabnh

On 9/10/2018 at 9:07 AM, dark_helmet said:

I don’t think you can compare the quality of the spheros and bg to the slammer. Slammer is a step up from both of those reels in every way. That’s just my opinion.