ThrowinPlugs

Kayak registration w/ trolling motor?

13 posts in this topic

Quick question, I believe I know the answer but I'll ask; in NY do you need to register a Kayak if you put a trolling motor on it. I wanted to make sure I was reading the boaters guide correctly. Thanks!

It is that way it Pa. also, it's powered ,different registration. I'm surprised no on has decided to make money off the registration of pedal drive yaks, give them time!.....Jack

Yeah, NH is the same way. In fact they have been toying with the idea of requiring ALL canoes and kayaks to be registered. 

Just picked up one today that has a registration in NY. Previous owner said it was like 26 bucks for the years, soas state rip offs go its not the worst one.

2 hours ago, reelfire said:

Just picked up one today that has a registration in NY. Previous owner said it was like 26 bucks for the years, soas state rip offs go its not the worst one.

Still double it was before this governor.

Given time the state government will find a way to tax the air we breath.

They tax us for stuff that makes absolutely no sense except that it make them money to line their pockets!

Don't shoot me for this but requiring registration of kayak, canoes, and SUPs is not a terrible idea when it comes down to finding a vessel floating with no one around, Coasties can reach out quickly to find the owner , theft recovery is another benefit. The problem is registrations are used as revenue generation a lot, why not a one time registration at the cost of typical FINS. I'm typically much more upset about surf permits for non- locals, who are already supporting the local tourism industry......jack

Everyone has their hands in homey’s pockets. I would love to see how Uncle Sam spends our registration money. Likely used to  hire more people to check for registrations.   Why stop there why not require registrations  for paddle and you pedal kayaks?  Then  hire more people to check for registrations? More government  interference that’s what every fisherman wants. Bad enough we can’t launch our kayak in the ocean from state beach’s in New Jersey now we can pay to paddle in the bay?

On 9/22/2018 at 8:41 AM, Bulldog said:

Don't shoot me for this but requiring registration of kayak, canoes, and SUPs is not a terrible idea when it comes down to finding a vessel floating with no one around, Coasties can reach out quickly to find the owner , theft recovery is another benefit. The problem is registrations are used as revenue generation a lot, why not a one time registration at the cost of typical FINS. I'm typically much more upset about surf permits for non- locals, who are already supporting the local tourism industry......jack

I agree, it does give your kayak an identification that the coast guard and state police can search.  

Funny thing is , here in NJ when I went to register my kayak because I put a 1hp gas motor on it, the DMV acted like they did not want to do it. It was cheap a few years ago- I think the plastic letters were more expensive than the actual registration.