saltfisherman

Organizing your tackle

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My saltwater fishing happens primarily on road trips...long weekend or a week.  I need to take everything to cover all possibilities.

Guys that live near the water can take 20 plugs knowing exactly what they will be facing when they get there ten minutes later. I started with a few Plano 3600 boxes. As my plug collection has grown, I keep adding.  All boxes are labeled with contents to make access easy.  the boxes stack on end perfectly in 20mm ammo cans...and there is space left on top for 2-3 more to go horizontally.  Works perfectly for me.  when I'm ready for my commando missions, just load the ammo cans into the back of my RAV and I'm good to go. One of may cans is set up with stacking boxes (3/8" plywood) to hold various bits of kit I need ready access to:  headlamp, file, knife, tape, etc...with other boxes underneath holding lesser used items like spare reels, pork rinds, etc.

Interestingly, the larger version, 30mm, holds 3700 Plano boxes really well.

IMG_20161231_131236861[1].jpg

IMG_20161231_131132476[1].jpg

20151011_110131_HDR[1].jpg

20160304_183653[1].jpg

IMG_20161109_090219178[1].jpg

Edited by blackdogfish

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

LOL...maybe I should start...it'd be a good excuse!

....... start what?.........

:)

For Surfcasting I opt for the bucket method

that means I should be able to pick enough lure for a tide and hang them in a bucket 

the few I think I need go into a single row bag. Maybe some darters or redfins. But really that’s it 

if I’ve chosen the wrong stuff at this stage of my life then I’m an idiot and deserve to get skunked

50 Plus pct throwing bucktails anyway 

for fly fishing the same holds holds but I should be able to fit everything fly in my shirt pocket

when I’m on the boat the most complicated thing is figuring out what drinks to bring, and always a beer to celebrate at the end. We fight over the playlist at the end as well. Usually The Dead,  Allmans, Stevie Ray, or something like that. 

the rest of my stuff is a beautiful mess and it’s fun to go see what treasures I can find 

Posted (edited)

On 9/13/2018 at 10:31 AM, sbcbmx112 said:

Anyone use a peg board?   I put one up recently and its made a big difference helping me not only organize but quickly see what I have for grab n go for fishing excursions. 

Pegboard for reels. 

surf rods & back bay hang from the modest deer antlers above that.  Catfish and loaner rods in a stack in the corner, ultra lite rods on a rack screwed to the back of the door, and freshwater rods alrger than 5' in another rack next to the door.  

This fall my organization goal is to completely give up on keeping all plugs and jigs where they belong.  Instead, I am switching to having a bag for each use.  Yes, awefully redundant, but its what I end up doing when I toss crap in a bag anyway.

If I get sick or bored I'll post it here.  I think organizaiton methods threads can prove to be quite an epic adventure.  A window into the fishermans soul.

Edited by 55555s

On 9/13/2018 at 10:31 AM, sbcbmx112 said:

Anyone use a peg board?   I put one up recently and its made a big difference helping me not only organize but quickly see what I have for grab n go for fishing excursions. 

Yup, peg boards are perfect for my short attention span running out the door at 12AM

3 hours ago, Meicoff said:

Yup, peg boards are perfect for my short attention span running out the door at 12AM

Wall space in my man cave is too valuable for pegboards. What I need is one of those racks of hinged boards like they have for tile displays that you flip through like a book, now that would be some dense storage!

The other thing for me that I like about the plano boxes is that the plugs stay put.  I've seen various buckets and gutter downspouts...and you hit a couple of good bumps or you're on the gravel road with the ditches...and the plugs are crashing against each other and bouncing out...no thanks.  Plus, if you get kids or dogs anywhere near exposed plugs hooks...not good.  But to each his own.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:21 PM, gellfex said:

Wall space in my man cave is too valuable for pegboards. What I need is one of those racks of hinged boards like they have for tile displays that you flip through like a book, now that would be some dense storage!

Make it Jon...pics on monday morning.

Posted (edited)

On 9/16/2018 at 9:21 PM, gellfex said:

We had a tackle store down here that kept its stock that way. It was like a treasure hunt turning each of those panels. 

Edited by Sweetwater

Check out tackle chests made by lakewood. Their big musky chest has been serving me great for the past 3 years keeping my baits organized and within easy reach. On a pricey side but well worth the investment. Not a solution for a tackle shop amount of stuff but its great on the road. 

https://teamrhinooutdoors.com/collections/tackle-storage/products/lakewood-pedestal-musky-monster-w-tro-logo

On 9/13/2018 at 1:01 PM, scoobydoo said:

LOL...maybe I should start...it'd be a good excuse!

Careful!  Some will lead you to put up your feet and eat chips while watching TV. Others will have you cleaning the house while listening to T-Rex. 

Frankly, I need TV when I’ve got T-Rex.