saltfisherman

Organizing your tackle

28 posts in this topic

Well with the time I have on my hands due to lack of fishing in SWFL I decided it was time to go through all the tackle and organize it, label boxes and just in general figure out how much stuff I own. All I can say is holy cow I won’t need to buy stuff for the rest of my life. Over the years of accumulating its caught up. Way way too much stuff. 

So far the best deal for storage has been Kastking 2700 and 2600 series Plano style boxes from amazon. I ordered a group of 8 2700 series boxes and went through those in a heart beat. So now I ordered 8 more 2700 and 8 2600 series sizes. I’m labeling it all so it’s easy to just grab a box off the shelf and take what I need from it. You never realize the amount of jig heads, or plastic bodies you accumulate. The hard plastic body lures are multiplying by the day. Stuff is new still in packaging. Buying from bankrupt stores, going out of business in general locations. 

When its all said and done it will be nice to know what it is I own and where in the heck it is. I’ve just had stuff in tubs and plastic zip lock bags. 

My wife always busted my chops about being my own tackle store. Yup, she is certainly correct on that. 

Yeah, trying to down size my stuff now lol. Way too much stuff even if I fished everyday for the rest of my life, but better than throwing it away on something else. My wife will never have to worry about me cheating on her as my only dreams at night are about fish.

I'm with you.

I just spent many many days organizing my basement.

It was bad. My basement looked like Fred Sanford was running a tackle shop & it blew up. It was embarassing. I had planned on organizing it many times over the past couple years but it was overwhelming.

I would grab what I needed for last minuet trips, drop the stuff when I returned, & back to work. Wound up w/ piles of random stuff in various places. It got to a point that it took too much time to gather stuff for a trip.

I bought a bunch of new shelves, boxes, containers, bins etc.  I found a Brother Label Maker to be useful. I also installed much better lighting. Now I can see exactly what I have & what shape it's in. 

I also realized I had much duplicate tackle. Bought things I didn't need because I didn't know I had it.

Now I'm all organized, labeled etc. I just have to keep it that way.

JD

54 mins ago, marty_mccarty said:

That will last a day or two before you start messing it up again. You’ll be buying more chit by next week 

read my mind,    experience 

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I'm with you.

I just spent many many days organizing my basement.

It was bad. My basement looked like Fred Sanford was running a tackle shop & it blew up. It was embarassing. I had planned on organizing it many times over the past couple years but it was overwhelming.

I would grab what I needed for last minuet trips, drop the stuff when I returned, & back to work. Wound up w/ piles of random stuff in various places. It got to a point that it took too much time to gather stuff for a trip.

I bought a bunch of new shelves, boxes, containers, bins etc.  I found a Brother Label Maker to be useful. I also installed much better lighting. Now I can see exactly what I have & what shape it's in. 

I also realized I had much duplicate tackle. Bought things I didn't need because I didn't know I had it.

Now I'm all organized, labeled etc. I just have to keep it that way.

JD

LOL that was a good one! I'd love to see pics of the Fred Sandord tackle shop prior to it being organized.

Pics of your tackle messes would be fun!

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, glennsav said:

LOL that was a good one! I'd love to see pics of the Fred Sandord tackle shop prior to it being organized.

Pics of your tackle messes would be fun!

That will be a good thread lol may have to start it!

8 hours ago, marty_mccarty said:

That will last a day or two before you start messing it up again. You’ll be buying more chit by next week 

So true! I have 2 pre-teen daughters so life is busy. If I get to run away and fish for the day I grab the crap that I think I may need and when I get back from 12 hours of fishing it stays on the floor in the man cave for a few weeks until I get around to it lol

My friend told me something funny yesterday. He owns his own business and is busy 24/7 and can't fish like he wants to. He said we are "wishermen" we wish we could fish more.

Edited by quan808

Anytime I try to organize.  
It ends with me taking apart something.

For instance....needed to organize my bench that had stacks of *insert type of random peice of fishing tackle here ____________    and a cut out of cleanliness which matched my swivel chairs radius.....Got about halfway done and a daiwa fuego ct caught my eye.....then the dremel tool....and half hour later I had an all polished fuego ct now lying around in my kitchen.  

And now I have to cleanup everything I needed for that.  So i'm where I was an hour and a half ago.

Trying to figure out the best way to organize my tackle............

I have "organization" that goes from specifically designated plastic boxes to a file drawer filled to the brim with crap. But most relevant to you, a fellow kayaker, is that I keep 2 11x14 boxes for the kayak. One has jigs, weights, bait hooks and other bottom terminal tackle, the other plugs and plastics.  I have other boxes of excess in these categories, plus boxes of freshwater for the rare occasions I do that, but those 2 are key.  Most of my gear lives in a 2'x2'x5' shelf tower on casters in the garage I built many years ago as an audio center. I have wood strips on the inside top that holds reels by their feet, shelves for boxes of lures, terminal tackle and things like gulp, and at the bottom a milk crate for random crap.

One of my best organizational tools for my extensive workshop, and a small part of my tackle, is cardboard bin boxes. You can get them short, tall, wide, narrow depending on what you need it for, and then set shelves on standards for the height you've used.

5073t15p1-f01a-digitall.png?ver=145709514665tp2l.png?ver=1261045704

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Anytime I try to organize.  
It ends with me taking apart something.

For instance....needed to organize my bench that had stacks of *insert type of random peice of fishing tackle here ____________    and a cut out of cleanliness which matched my swivel chairs radius.....Got about halfway done and a daiwa fuego ct caught my eye.....then the dremel tool....and half hour later I had an all polished fuego ct now lying around in my kitchen.  

And now I have to cleanup everything I needed for that.  So i'm where I was an hour and a half ago.

Trying to figure out the best way to organize my tackle............

I was like that when I used to smoke a lot of pot 

Home Depot usually has “HDX” storage boxes for 10$ a 2 pack. They’re meant to organize nuts and bolts etc. and so have adjustable compartments. They also interlock with each other. Larger plugs can befit in by removing some of the permanant barriers in them. It’s a cheap and effective way to store plugs. 

Posted (edited)

Anyone use a peg board?   I put one up recently and its made a big difference helping me not only organize but quickly see what I have for grab n go for fishing excursions. 

Edited by sbcbmx112

y. I had the pegboard and really miss it. downside was friends dropping in and literally shopping for free.......

Posted (edited)

I just did the same thing, whole system cost me 60. I weeded out and donated a ton of plugs and plastics I didn't need. Never had a crazy collection, but i have about 700-800 jigs.... all put away in boxes labeled. The cork board is cheap and so worth it.  So much better than the garage. 

My girlfriend travels for work and hasn't seen the living room.... hmmm... 

1-8.jpg

1-9.jpg

Edited by libido airbag
attachments

On 9/10/2018 at 8:08 PM, blackdogfish said:

I was like that when I used to smoke a lot of pot 

LOL...maybe I should start...it'd be a good excuse!