saxon59

Cheap tackle storage

15 posts in this topic

While most anglers fishing with lures seem pretty well equipped for storage with plug bags or Plano type boxes, bait fishermen on the other hand seem to be not as well organized.

You regularly see bait guys with a bag or bucket full of loose leaders, sinkers and hooks, wasting time at the waterside and sorting frustrating tangles.

I have a few photos showing that for just a few dollars will give you that extra fishing time.

A couple of times hanging around a Dollar store waiting for the Boss, I picked up a few things.

Small zip lock portion bags, 40 for a dollar, perfect for hooks, pre tied hooks or small rigs.

Another type of small zip lock  bag, 50 per box, thinner plastic than the 40 bag, I have been using these more for  home than at the water, the others fit in my pouches better.

These flowered pouches are sold as 'cosmetic bags'. they are heavy duty plastic with a regular zip closing, perfect for storing the small hook bags.

Small plastic Plano type boxes, small but space saving and ideal for swivels, snaps, split rings etc.

I also buy my sun block and bug spray and cheap pliers [which I loose regularly] from these type of shops.

DSCF0816.JPG

DSCF0821.JPG

DSCF0817.JPG

DSCF0818.JPG

DSCF0819.JPG

DSCF0820.JPG

For snaps,swivels,and hooks I use my old plastic prescription

containers,hardly take up any room at all in tackle box.

Walmart, arts and crafts section. 100 of those bags for $1. That should really blow your mind

5 hours ago, troutworm said:

For snaps,swivels,and hooks I use my old plastic prescription

containers,hardly take up any room at all in tackle box.

Doing that for years as well as individually placing small tied rigs in plastic bags :theman:

For leaders and hook rigs there are a number of leader wallets (google search) that are far more convenient than loose baggies.

5 mins ago, Old_Gnarled_Oak said:

Does anyone have a solution to keep a Sabiki from turning itself into a Gordian knot?

If you have any of those pool noodles, cut about 6” off one, and roll the Sabiki rig around it burying each hook as you go. Unroll when you need it. 

I do a lot of top/bottom rigs.

Tied the rigs my self and drilled holes in an old 1in PVC pipe.

7f66e0b6-90ca-42bd-94f9-7d35ca8086fe.jpeg

dc677025-482d-4b57-ab57-988b24266930.jpeg

53 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

If you have any of those pool noodles, cut about 6” off one, and roll the Sabiki rig around it burying each hook as you go. Unroll when you need it. 

I'll give that a shot, thanks

Another thing I use sometimes is those little plastic baseball card

boxes sold in sports card shops and at Walmart,also at Michaels

Craft stores.

I also use cardboard sheets snipped with V's and cuts.

This is an old photo that I posted years ago when discussing camouflaged leaders.

DSCF0372.JPG

Posted (edited)

Ace Hardware has a couple of sizes of small ziplock-style plastic bags for holding small fasteners. I use them for storing leaders of various types and sizes.  Each bag holds multiples of the same size leaders, each of which is held in a coil with one or two 1" twist ties. 

Each bag (well most bags) also holds a small (1”x1" or so) piece of rubber inner tube, which I use to straighten the leader. 

9EF412F5-279F-460E-BCD6-FBD20BE7C472.jpeg

Edited by Southcoastphil