Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mahigo

Rooster fishing 2018

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello SOL, 

I wonder what’s the latest time this year for rooster fishing in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico? I am thinking of going for the rooster fishing at the end of September.

Is it too late?
Please help me to figure out a good time to go. 

Thanks in advance. 
Rick

Thanks for the info. 
I planned on going to Mexico at the beginning of September but somehow it didn't work out and now perhaps it is too late. 
I have time now and ready to go to Cabo or San Jose del Cabo but the hurricane is coming... 
I want to try to catch the few of them that are waiting for me you mentioned.
If the hurricane passes and I can find a relatively cheap all inclusive trip then I will go anyway. 
I will be checking the weather every day. 

Hopefully I can catch a bigger one than last year.

5 hours ago, thedonald said:

In general, mid July to Mid September is the best but every year is different. And then they slowly start to leave until November when there will be just a few around. 

Where is the place the rooster fish going for the winter?

I might follow them cause I like the worm weather too.

I go to el Salvador in January and they aren't there until March. I have heard some start to show up in the winter months around southern Costa Rica or the southern part of Panama that hangs down. And I would presume from there all the way down Ecuador to Peru.

In my experience the Roosters seem to come close to shore after some event like a storm or a big rain when the water starts to clear. They don't like dirty water or big waves. Then after a few days of clear flat water they move on. I usually go for 10 days to try and get in a few days of good fishing around the times when it is stormy or too calm. So if you can leave now you might hit some good days after this current storm.

Or try Zihuatanejo - Huatulco regions for an October-November trip.

Edited by thedonald
suggestions

Thank you for the info.

I googled the fishing in Cabo and base on the info from this site for rooster fishing: 

is GOOD from January to April

and from April to August is BEST 

then September and October is FAIR 

but November and December is GOOD.

I think it will be a good idea to wait to November-December. But in Nov-Dec. I want be able to get as good deal as was in September for 2 weeks all inclusive  but I will look for the best options. 

I have done some research and you are correct the rooster is on the pacific site from California to all the way Panama. 

Definitely I will go but not sure when exactly and now I have to look for a good weather over there to avoid the storms or bad weather. 

Last 2 years I was in Cabo and San Jose del Cabo end of May and I bought a couple of nice roosters and other fish... I have been in Mexico several times but always different time of the year, I think the best fishing is May-June. 

Do you know what kind of fish is in El Salvador in January? How long you are going to stay in El Salvador? 

On 9/30/2018 at 3:57 PM, Ricardo8 said:

Thank you for the info.

I googled the fishing in Cabo and base on the info from this site for rooster fishing: 

is GOOD from January to April

and from April to August is BEST 

then September and October is FAIR 

but November and December is GOOD.

I think it will be a good idea to wait to November-December. But in Nov-Dec. I want be able to get as good deal as was in September for 2 weeks all inclusive  but I will look for the best options. 

I have done some research and you are correct the rooster is on the pacific site from California to all the way Panama. 

Definitely I will go but not sure when exactly and now I have to look for a good weather over there to avoid the storms or bad weather. 

Last 2 years I was in Cabo and San Jose del Cabo end of May and I bought a couple of nice roosters and other fish... I have been in Mexico several times but always different time of the year, I think the best fishing is May-June. 

Do you know what kind of fish is in El Salvador in January? How long you are going to stay in El Salvador? 

I have seen similar calendars but they may be for boat trips. Where I go they say it is good from shore for 2 months, this year they showed up mid July but not in big numbers. 

My first trip was in the beginning of November and we hit a really bad red tide. I think that indicates the leading edge of cold water coming down from the north which will go all the way to the bay in Guatemala. 

Your best bet for a deal is before November as that's when the snowbirds start showing up but you never know, you might get a deal if some flights are not full.

I go to El Salvador mid January for a month or so. The Mackeral come close to shore in December/January there. Also some Jacks and a few dorado. But overall the fishing is slow and they are smaller than Mexico. We also do boat trips from the local fishermen for $70/3 hours. There are regular charters available too.

One year we hit many large schools of Bonito which were fun to catch but I only keep white meat fish.

46 mins ago, thedonald said:

I have seen similar calendars but they may be for boat trips. Where I go they say it is good from shore for 2 months, this year they showed up mid July but not in big numbers. 

My first trip was in the beginning of November and we hit a really bad red tide. I think that indicates the leading edge of cold water coming down from the north which will go all the way to the bay in Guatemala. 

Your best bet for a deal is before November as that's when the snowbirds start showing up but you never know, you might get a deal if some flights are not full.

I go to El Salvador mid January for a month or so. The Mackeral come close to shore in December/January there. Also some Jacks and a few dorado. But overall the fishing is slow and they are smaller than Mexico. We also do boat trips from the local fishermen for $70/3 hours. There are regular charters available too.

One year we hit many large schools of Bonito which were fun to catch but I only keep white meat fish.

Yes, you might be right with this calendar, its for the boat for sure.... Last year I went to Cabo end of the May and I had to wait a few days to June to see the roosters, they arrived 2 weeks later. On this calendar showing GOOD in May. Thanks for correcting me.....

Last few years during the winter time we went to Hawaii or Mexico and this year we can't go to Hawaii and we will go to some where to Caribbean because there is no snow and on the same time I can fish. I like fishing in Mexico very much but not so much in Hawaii. I like the Hawaii weather that you can count on it most of the time but very easy to loose so many lures, cause the coral and a lots of rock. 

Mexico has sandy beaches easy to walk for miles and fish from the shore, I love it to be there and can't wait to pack my rods and reels.