GoneCoastal

Your Favorite Soft Plastics

110 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, GoneCoastal said:

Without the hook going thru the body it allows more movement. Seems to flutter more on the drop and wiggle more on the retrieve. Shake one of each side by side and you'll see what I mean.

O I see what you mean now I’ll have to try that tonight 

2 hours ago, nateD said:

O I see what you mean now I’ll have to try that tonight 

Be sure to glue them on. I also cut a cylindrical core out of the neck. It helps to keep the neck from splitting.

Posted (edited)

i like a finese fish.  Either the bubble gum pattern for weakfish, and the sperring color for stripers and blues.

Edited by chunk

11 hours ago, GoneCoastal said:

Be sure to glue them on. I also cut a cylindrical core out of the neck. It helps to keep the neck from splitting.

How do you cut the core? 

1 hour ago, Buckscorider said:

How do you cut the core? 

I'll post some picks tonight, I made up a little tool outta high pressure tubing.

On 9/8/2018 at 1:10 AM, slowroller said:

Make my own, haven't used anything else since I started a couple years back. 

IMG_0475.JPG.df0e6f28f455c2454ce47934c41c8ba2.JPG

Wow these are nice!!

22 hours ago, GoneCoastal said:

super glue gel works wounders

2 hours ago, GoneCoastal said:

Here's some pics of the coring process and the tool I made. Works great on the less robust plastics. IMG_20180915_170438699.jpg.e91b4f4d3d60b6f5c4ec17bc391c83a0.jpg

IMG_20180915_170517210.jpg

IMG_20180915_170541736.jpg

I used to cut cores into all of my rubber tails for the same reason that you do:  to minimize splitting.

Went to the local brake shop and got a 6" piece of hard brake line, ground one end such that it was sharp and on nte other end I epoxied the connecting nut to the flange for a handle.  Whole process took maybe five minutes.

Then, a couple seasons ago, while on the ditch, I didn't have my coring tool in my tackle-tools box.

With a cigarette lighter I heated up one jaw on my needle-nosed pliers and used that to melt a hole in the rubber.  Problem solved.  (It only takes 30 sec or so to sufficiently heat the metal jaw.  One could as easily use a nail, some 10-ga wire, an ice pick, etc.)

The new 13.5” eel from Gravity Tackle is sick. Made by the guy that use to be plum island swimbaits. Colors shift depending on how you look at them. 

DC8982FA-8464-4F51-832F-12391E206088.jpeg

B3EB72F5-4322-44AD-AD06-CD6578E759FF.jpeg

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, tfucini said:

The new 13.5” eel from Gravity Tackle is sick. Made by the guy that use to be plum island swimbaits. Colors shift depending on how you look at them. 

DC8982FA-8464-4F51-832F-12391E206088.jpeg

B3EB72F5-4322-44AD-AD06-CD6578E759FF.jpeg

What happened to plum island baits? I was just trying to order some last night and couldn’t find them, I really liked their sluggo imitation in the real eel color.

Edited by nateD