GoneCoastal

Your Favorite Soft Plastics

110 posts in this topic

DOA’s CAL was my go to lure last fall when we had shorts at the end of the season. Also my #1 choice for Specled Trout in Florida.

Love that white ice in the zooms.  We usually upsize to the 7" Mag size and they work great. 

22 hours ago, Jason B said:

Its funny,  down here (Chesapeake), BKD are king for large and z-man for back bay. I prefer savage and sluggos 

Iam in the region too. If I need something larger I will go to the magnum fluke or a mega shad. I've never been a fan of BKD's or zmans.

5 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Cocahoe minnow

83829FEF-823B-4FE8-8AD6-2BB28468EC7A.jpeg

I like these too Steve. I use them when I need distance, however they could be a little softer IMHO. Short shank hooks seem to work better for me with them.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, Evil-Bay said:

6" shadalicious on a 1oz - 1.5oz jig head...awesome.

20171224_135200.jpg

nice:)

On 9/8/2018 at 1:10 AM, slowroller said:

Make my own, haven't used anything else since I started a couple years back. 

IMG_0475.JPG.df0e6f28f455c2454ce47934c41c8ba2.JPGIMG_0021.jpg.806a4d60058020aac0cc11cde6bf1d4c.jpgIMG_4668.JPG.c8b1f0ede90d4f0be99df38b3418d98f.JPG

Outta-Sight!!

Depending on where I'm fishing, but overall they stay the same. In the surf I like to throw Al Gag's 3/4oz whip it fish or sluggos rigged on a 3/4 oz bullet jig head. Somewhere with deep water and fast moving currents I'd throw sluggos rigged on a 3/4/5 oz bullet jig head.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:36 PM, Evil-Bay said:

6" shadalicious on a 1oz - 1.5oz jig head...awesome.

20171224_135200.jpg

Man that Shadalicious Blue Gizzard Shad looks like a good finger mullet imitation.

Ever try a weighted swimbait hook w/ them?

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Man that Shadalicious Blue Gizzard Shad looks like a good finger mullet imitation.

Ever try a weighted swimbait hook w/ them?

JD

Hi JD,

Yea, i have tried these shads on weighted hooks.  Works well in the back bay areas.  But when im on the beach where i need to get it out by the white waters, i need some distance.  The problem with these shads is that they tear off eaisly when lil schoolies are in the area just grabbing the tails.  But when the big boys are around, they are very effective. 

-Evil

Looks like an owner head on that shad.  Pretty sure the body is hollow.  I have a few packs of those from the bargain bin at Dicks.  Never got around to using them. 

I've simplified my plastic use quite a bit over the years even though there are many options.  Got a piles of rubber i've bought but keep going to the same stuff over and over:

For a mullet and or peanut imitation i prefer the 6 inch tsunami replacement body or even better the saltwater assassin in albino shad on that same jig head.  Fish prefer to target mullet mainly on tide edges. Mullet don't like moving water.  

Hard to beat a 6 in white gotcha shad when the fish key in on peanuts.  

8 in Tsunami replacement body or the 9 inch Tiki wave worm for me when the fish are on larger adult bunker.  

From the sand with a nice side to side sweep i go with either the Tiki worm or a big black sluggo.  

And don't forget the big 6 or 8 inc gotcha grub for bucktail trailers.  

This is all the plastic you need at least in NJ.