Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 7 - Sept 14

62 posts in this topic

I fished one time 3 days nothing . I had a new tip put on at Capt Dons and he told me try it before i drive home . I walked down to the weakapaug rocks said I'm just going to cast in this white water to hell with walking out to the end . 1 Cast 1 keeper but i casted along the beach from the rocks not across the white water . Hope that helps someone 

^ bagged a bunch of fish in the 16-18 pound range yesterday. Was early and didn’t want to keep one yet. Of course after an Iniial push the bite dies and I’m kicking  myself. Walk a few miles back to my car ( mother fuqn myself) and say eff it I’ll take a cast in the very unfishy water next to my vehicle. Boom, perfect eating size fish on the first cast. 

2 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

^ bagged a bunch of fish in the 16-18 pound range yesterday. Was early and didn’t want to keep one yet. Of course after an Iniial push the bite dies and I’m kicking  myself. Walk a few miles back to my car ( mother fuqn myself) and say eff it I’ll take a cast in the very unfishy water next to my vehicle. Boom, perfect eating size fish on the first cast. 

:hooked:

Was basically unfishable last pm, and not a hit in some really fishy waters that usually produce well in rough water.  Some of the waves last pm were easily 10'+ and the power behind them was crazy.  

Edited by Kooky

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

Was basically unfishable last pm, and not a hit in some really fishy waters that usually produce well in rough water.  Some of the waves last pm were easily 10'+ and the power behind them was crazy.  

Yup, what he said. Wasn't easy and borderline unsafe. :eek:

19 mins ago, bdowning said:

Yup, what he said. Wasn't easy and borderline unsafe. :eek:

Thanks for the report. 

I made the correct decision to stay home. Some comfort in that.

Now lets hope it settles down quick and no more dirty H2O till Halloween. 

Edited by mikez2

Definitely wasn't easy last night. No weeds, minimal wind, huge waves, no fish. Looked fishy, felt fishy, just tough to present anything with the size of the waves and how close they were together. 

A few cocktail blues this morning. That's all she wrote. Anchovies still around, but the giant schools of last week seem to have been broken up some after the weather over past week.

Swells were down this morning about a foot since yesterday. Water clarity really wasn't too bad and weed was minimal. Sept 14th and Albacore have yet to significantly fill in... at least in the spots I've tried. Some scattered nice schools waay east in Mass...but seriously-- do we have to go to the Cape for everything?

I see birds working the water with fish underneath in the mid-bay area...wonder if they are in the bay like last year?

42 mins ago, splions said:

I see birds working the water with fish underneath in the mid-bay area...wonder if they are in the bay like last year?

Good question. 

At least from what I've seen.. and after speaking with several non-bullsh¡t fishermen.. it's a fact that the first sct'd schools of albacore moved into multiple areas of RI waters about a week ago. Immediately afterwards though... a several day easterly wind event hit which partially broke up the bait out front..as well as crapped up the previous crystal clear water quality.

Then, as soon as the local weather settled, 6ft swells from the hurricane rolled in. More pressure on bait tight to shore...and water quality remained less than ideal out front. 

So the question is: where did those initial albacore go? Did they retreat back offshore temporarily? Move on to LIS? Or did they push into the more protected confines of the bay.. where bait schools were less disrupted, and water quality remained higher.

Not offshore in my opinion , friends did there annual week long Albie Block Island trip yielded 0 Albies, that’s about 10-20 surfcasters fishing for 6 Days with nada , they just weren’t there