The Fisherman

An online get well card for BFD

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Our friend is still on the mend, and since he can't get out and fish -- yet -- let's help him pass the time with some get-well-soon wishes in the form of a fish picture and a little story. Here's how you "sign" the card: post a picture of a favorite fish you've caught this year -- it doesn't have to be big, or even a striper, just one that was memorable to you in some way -- and tell Dick a little bit about it. And yes, I'll kick things off.

OFBEKeepah.jpg.8a0591dcb77de33a78d3bb36bc72c0ae.jpg

I have certain habits and traditions, and one of them is that if I'm fishing for stripers on July 4th, I fish an Olive Fireworm Big Eelie (you can find that pattern over in the fly tying forum). I was fishing on Block Island, and the action had been spotty, but the 4th had fireworks in store for me in the form of this striped marauder. At 15 pounds, she's not the biggest bass I've caught this year, but she was one of the most spirited. I find that most stripers will thrash when you first lip them, but once you get a firm hold they'll chill. Not this fish. She was unhappy from the moment I hooked her until the moment I took this photo. I usually try to get several shots of a fish, and it's a good thing I did with this girl, because it's the only one that came out any good. I thought I was being nice by keeping her in the water until I released her, but she thanked me by giving me a tail-slap face full of water. Striper revenge!

Get well soon, Dick.

Steve Culton

Thanks Steve, I’m hopefully in the home stretch, I had 20 hyperbaric chamber treatsments to do , 15 down and 5 to go. Hopefully I will be home next Tuesday. It’s been been a long two months but now I will be able to go see my two sons new homes.

My son Matt moved back from Pa after being gone for 7 yearsand my son Kevin who got married in June just passed on his first house yesterday in RI. It sure does seem like I missed out on a lot besides the fishing.

I think my biggest issues will be to take things slow and not push myself to hard while I learn a whole new way of life.

Steve a very sincere Thank You for all the support to you and all my friends.

You've got a lot of friends here on SOL, Dick, as you know, but as of today, during the summer doldrums, we don't have a fishing photo to make you feel better. However, we're glad to hear you're about finished with your hyperbaric chamber treatments and will return home  in a couple of days. That's very good news. Work on the positive vibes from there and we hope to hear very soon with more positive reports from you. 

Hey Dick,

The road is tough -but so are you.

A Cape Cod guide friend took this picture of a White Shark just off a Monomoy beach.  Lots pf them now.

"Gots"to be careful .

My son says if you are in the water above your ankles you are part of the food chain.

Herb 

20180710_123153_1531246626412.jpg

Get better quick BFD...I don't post that much in this forum these days but I try to read all your stories :th:

TimS

And they're always worth reading. Alas, I have no good fish story, nor a picture to post, but .. we'll welcome you like a lost brother when you come home to the water. 

Pulling for you BFD, I don't know you personally but I found myself wondering how you were doing, sounds like you've got your game on. Wishing you the best, getting home always helps recovering. Keep us posted. 

No fishing for me this year yet, but I like to keep thinking, tomorrow I caught a big one. 

BFD all the best for a speedy recovery, everyone is rooting for you.36226E5C-531B-4344-A112-088955329835.jpeg.93e7e40c413a5d1f31f2b98641b13185.jpeg(

Here’s a rainbow, not all that big, but fought way above its weight, took a dry and showed me some backing, made my day!

JC

I know that you fish off a boat a couple of times a year in Boston Harbor  You most likely know that there have been Whales in the harbor right off Dear Island.  The water seems to get clearer every year . The Pogies have been coming back in big numbers and the Bass fishing has been great.  I know that if you were out there that there would be a couple of less fish around. But the good news is that there have been a lot of small bass around this year and it looks like its going to be a great year next year, so get well and get ready to have a great year, fishing next year.  And when you get home start tieing some Betsy's, you will need them in the spring.    ccb

Edited by ccb

This is not a large trout. It is a nice little brown trout. But I am intensely proud of it, for it represents two firsts. It is the first trout I have ever caught in the Rocky Mountains, and the first trout I have ever caught on a fly rod. I caught it last month, in a small lake in Yellowstone N.P.  I was using a brand new custom built Chris Barclay 82 fiberglass 5 wt fly rod (which I won in a raffle at the Fiberglass Flyrodders conclave in Livingston, MT) with a Ross Cimarron reel loaded with 406 WF fly line. The fly was a Purple Haze. It is, I hope, the first of many more to come. This is what retirement will be all about!

qHeCyVA.jpg?1

Edited by Del Gue

It’s great to hear your making progress in your recovery . I’m looking forward to your sharing your new adventures and indespensible “pearls of wisdom “ ! Keep punching in the clinches , Bill J