BrianBM

Wave action from Florence

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2018 at 11:44 PM, rst3 said:

@BrianBM

Tuesday might be real tough on the water off Long island the more I look at it. Florence will be within striking distance of the outer banks..a day or 2 away..and some 'not tiny' groundswell could very well start arriving on LI sometime on the 11th.  I'd say dramanine might be a good idea.

>> Right now the forecast is showing 6-8ft seas just off LI on Tuesday.

7-10ft Wed.

That's the word I heard as well (Tuesday or so here in the NE)

If the rain looks to be heavy ... the young man will lose his trip.  Alas, but that's fishing. Whereas I will be content if I can either get on the Shinnecock Star, for a bay trip, or drive on the beach. Both things may be iffy. The State and County will be edgy.  

New moon tomorrow, time to hit the beach now.

So in the end, the wind and waves were nothing to worry about.  Calm as glass, no wind to be found.  No rain until later according to the forecast.

The only problem?  Fog so thick you couldn't see in front of your face.  Doesn't combine well with the radar upgrade I left half-done (ugh).

From shore it is.

IMG_20180911_081342.jpg

On 9/6/2018 at 9:07 PM, rst3 said:

The rough seas in the short term arent from Florence. A strong high pressure cell will throw easterly winds over a long fetch for many days. If Florence approaches the US, it should be somewhere justoff North Carolina around the 13th. 

There'll be swells, but the boating forecast for the Cape otherwise looks good. Mostly 5-10 mph from the E through Sun is the current marine forecast. I'm fine with long swells till they get past say 8'.

I'm assuming the blocking ridge between Florence and the Cape is responsible for the light wind forecast?

Edited by patchyfog

The Captree fishing pier was dotted with grandpas and grandkids, very amicable.  When young enough, even spider crabs and blowfish in a crab trap are a great thrill.  A couple of little girls wandered by with questions, which I did my best to answer ("Can fish see color? What fish is that? What's that thing?").  Not a breath of air, but somehow we weren't all bugged to death either.  

A pleasant day. 

On 9/6/2018 at 4:37 PM, BrianBM said:

How close need a hurricane get before the effect is visible in sea conditions?

I was checking the websites of a couple of boats, looking for longer trips (for me) and short trips that still might produce (for me, a friend, and his 8-y.o. grandson.)  A couple of sites mentioned that ocean conditions outside the inlets are going to get rough, from Friday on. (I'm on Long Island.) 

The boat ride with grandson is set for 9/11, just before he's imprisoned in school again.  By then, the hurricane may be onshore.  But is it close enough to be affecting us in NY and Mass right now? 

Don’t go. I was out this morning and came back in. Big sea -  8 second apart -  few waves were breaking white water out 1/2 mile. Not worth it. 

Some of the beaches in Montauk are closed.  The Access Road to North/False Bars was closed yesterday, as  was  Napeague State Park Access. Some 6-7 footers on South Side along with many surfers.  Just use common sense

and keep in mind that there is always another day.  Safety is paramount.

sb

Best intel you can get on wave and swell size direction and period is... you guessed it the surfing sites

a large long period swell is often not as brutal as a smaller but shorter period bunched up mess

and quite often you’ll have waves coming in from more that one direction

best free site might be magic seaweed

you can select your location

ive been using it for a few years and it’s generally pretty accurate 

Somebody swamped and died in Chatham yesterday, apparently when crossing the bar at the N inlet.

The swell's no problem once you get out; the winds are light and there's no chop. It's the inlets and shoals ya gotta worry about.

10 mins ago, JohnP said:

Best intel you can get on wave and swell size direction and period is... you guessed it the surfing sites

Often surfers are also more aware of what is happening fish wise on the beach too...

On 9/13/2018 at 10:44 AM, rollincoal said:

Often surfers are also more aware of what is happening fish wise on the beach too...

Try the one beginning with Surf and select down to your location. Pick a close beach with a cam. Some just have reports.

I looked at Terrace a couple of days ago...no room to work. Looked at Hither Hills, better, as examples.

As Florence moves onto land and sits over NC / SC inland the waves should knock down a bit.

Stay safe guys, hope all you southern guys and those with family down there are fairing as well as possible.

...I was just watching a clip from Surf City, NC....strange video clip, thought I was looking at beachfront much further north, like NE style....high, sharp faced wall of dirt/beach. Waves crashing directly on it base, not a rock/riprap or support structure in sight. Not sure what it looked like before, got to imagine a few hundred yards of beachfront is under water(?) but looks like they'll loose the road eventually.

On a feel good side of things I watched two loaded down "rigs" fueling up in Dunkirk, Md.....both full sized 4x4's, one had a enclosed black trailer dragging a flag of Maryland proudly, aftermarket emergency LEDs flashing bright white on super disco mode.

Other "rig" was hualing a heavy duty aluminum skiff, guessing 20'.... Attached over and under and all around the boat and even the trailer were canoes and kayaks wedged in and strapped down. Get this.... They topped the larger boat with two car topper style light weight aluminum boats. Believe me when I suggest this wasn't their first relief mission. These guys looked dialed in and everything was strapped tight and loaded smartly. 

obviously I assume they were heading south to help/volunteer. Don't know them,.... But it looked like private citizens helping out which is very cool to see....heartwarming, honestly. 

Edited by h2oboss