BrianBM

Wave action from Florence

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

How close need a hurricane get before the effect is visible in sea conditions?

I was checking the websites of a couple of boats, looking for longer trips (for me) and short trips that still might produce (for me, a friend, and his 8-y.o. grandson.)  A couple of sites mentioned that ocean conditions outside the inlets are going to get rough, from Friday on. (I'm on Long Island.) 

The boat ride with grandson is set for 9/11, just before he's imprisoned in school again.  By then, the hurricane may be onshore.  But is it close enough to be affecting us in NY and Mass right now? 

Posted (edited)

The rough seas in the short term arent from Florence. A strong high pressure cell will throw easterly winds over a long fetch for many days. If Florence approaches the US, it should be somewhere justoff North Carolina around the 13th. 

Edited by rst3

@BrianBM

Tuesday might be real tough on the water off Long island the more I look at it. Florence will be within striking distance of the outer banks..a day or 2 away..and some 'not tiny' groundswell could very well start arriving on LI sometime on the 11th.  I'd say dramanine might be a good idea.

>> Right now the forecast is showing 6-8ft seas just off LI on Tuesday.

7-10ft Wed.

Saw youre post and looked at NOAA hurricane page. By the 11th it may be rough out there. You may need to fish the LIS for calmer waters and I agree great time for the surf!

144414_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Weather Channel predicts 3 possible tracks. 1. Straight on into Carolinas. 2. A right turn up along the Delaware/Jersey coast. 3. A sharper right turn which will keep it off shore, but will still impact the N.J. shore.

Hmmm. A fine day for fun, but not necessarily for fun with an 8 year old. BUT if we can't get on a boat, or an ocean beach in the car, we can still fish from the Captree dock.

He has his first religion class that afternoon, so he's only Grandpa's prisoner and mine for the morning only. 

Fwiw... I still remember with great pride the fluke I caught off a sm jetty on a nice summer afternoon when I was 8 that we took home and cooked. What I dont remember was the bass and blues trip to the rips off Nantucket on a rough windy day later that fall...because I was so seasick I spent the entire trip puking my guts out.

Sometimes it's just the successful fishing experience with loved ones that matters, not how fancy or exotic it was. Can ring up a dozen scup and be a hero. (Blue marlin in the canyons not required :).

I've had this weekend penciled in for the longest time because my boys have off (NYC schools are out Mon/Tues).  Was going to spend a long weekend with them, hitting the Race and points east.

And as the date has drawn closer, I've gone from the Race, to the Gut, to staying inside the bay, and now it looks like we're going to be hitting snappers.  Sucks, there's no other word for it.  If we're in any way lucky we might fall onto some bonito from shore, but I'm not holding my breath.

2 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

I've had this weekend penciled in for the longest time because my boys have off (NYC schools are out Mon/Tues).  Was going to spend a long weekend with them, hitting the Race and points east.

And as the date has drawn closer, I've gone from the Race, to the Gut, to staying inside the bay, and now it looks like we're going to be hitting snappers.  Sucks, there's no other word for it.  If we're in any way lucky we might fall onto some bonito from shore, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well.. Im not familiar with how those spots fish in different wind conditions, and I do know seas stack up in the race and gut.. but LIS wont be nearly as bad as more exposed bodies of water. Here's the marine forecast for that sector. And a link to nearby buoys that can give up to minute seastate conditions.

20180908_040205.jpg.7d5596fd7ef07aed777194263ea3c0b4.jpg

20180908_040152.jpg.a918b20f063b4d9847909609250ccf0b.jpg

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_search.php?lat1=41.2241N&lon1=72.4014W&uom=E&dist=50

15 hours ago, rst3 said:

Well.. Im not familiar with how those spots fish in different wind conditions, and I do know seas stack up in the race and gut.. but LIS wont be nearly as bad as more exposed bodies of water. Here's the marine forecast for that sector. And a link to nearby buoys that can give up to minute seastate conditions.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_search.php?lat1=41.2241N&lon1=72.4014W&uom=E&dist=50

Thanks, but as expected the conditions just kept worsening to the point where there's a small craft advisory now out for both days.  Tuesday might be decent, though.

I'd like to be pissed and feel out of luck, but that's just selfish, some folks down in the Carolinas are looking at a nasty hit from Flo.  I hope for the best of them while we make do with our shore fishing :hooked:

smallcraft.PNG.0d97c36f5032c6b03e74a09200214328.PNG