FishermanTim

Duxbury is not worth the effort anymore...

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

Not really, just past occurrences that have stuck in my mind.

The bridge has been "closed" a number of times over the past 20+ years for "repairs" that never seem to end.

The local/visitor aspect is evident when you realize that non-residents have less access to over-sand beach access (driving) than residents, and the beach-side parking at the bridge is somewhat restrictive too. (cost AND access)

I had looked at possibly buying a sticker for Duxbury beach but found out they didn't offer them for non-residents.

The water ban stuff was relayed to me from my sister and husband that live in Marshfield.

No ax to grind, just (sometimes) painful observations.

This is a head scratcher 

6 hours ago, bumknee said:

Mr. Fancy Pants in his Orvis outfit making nice with the rich ladies on their gossip walks. He does not block the walkway with poles, gear, and smelly chunks of mackerel or pogy. He is at one with the beautiful people.

:laugh:

12 hours ago, HanoverStriper said:

Take a peek under the bridge. Once in a while you can find a stray milf down there...

What do you use for bait?

More to report, had a run in with the new harbormaster last weekend. Parked on dirt road behind the beach to fish bay and beach at false dawn and sunrise. The very few spots were taken by a group of fly fisherman working the bay. While taking a few casts into the bay he pulled up got out of his truck with his ticket book and started yelling asking if my truck broke down. I walked up and asked what he was talking about as he had just seen me fishing not 50 yards away. He kept yelling and I told him I had been doing this for years as had dozens of others. He stomped off and drove away. No ticket but not a positive interaction. The fisherman I know down there are stewards of the beach and bay and often first to see and report a problem. No reason at all to not have good harbor master fishermen relations.  My truck windshield is covered in oversand stickers so it’s not like he didn’t know I’m a regular. 

I was on the bridge Monday morning throwing chunks. About one out of five people were friendly, while the others were clearly pissed or put off. I made sure there was room on the walkway, but several made the point to give the lowlife fisherman plenty of space as they move to the roadway.

I did not see Mr. Fancypants in his Orvis outfit.

2 hours ago, bumknee said:

I was on the bridge Monday morning throwing chunks. About one out of five people were friendly, while the others were clearly pissed or put off. I made sure there was room on the walkway, but several made the point to give the lowlife fisherman plenty of space as they move to the roadway.

I did not see Mr. Fancypants in his Orvis outfit.

For awareness- the bolded above only works when fishing the wrong side of the bridge.

And have you guys ever got mackerel juice on your Vineyard Vines polo or your new Sperry's?  UGH...ROONED

I'd be keeping my distance from you unwashed fishermen as well...

11 hours ago, Two Rock said:

So you had a current oversand permit and he was peeved that you did not park in a designated parking spot along the beach road? 

Designated spots (there are 2 where I was) were full, and the chains were still up so no drive on access to the beach. Many have done the same for years there, not a busy road especially in the fall at that hour. I noticed last weekend after the incident that there aren’t any no parking signs anywhere on the road other than in front of the access points and I wasn’t blocking one.

On 9/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, FishermanTim said:

I was polite and honest in my replies to his questions, but he pretty much said I was a liar when I explained why I fished that side of the bridge.

One police tactic in dealing with citizens is to ask disingenuously stupid questions to see how "perp citizen" will react to them. It's a species of bad cop act--putting pressure on someone, seeing what pops out their mouth. Often the best or most handy spin is to act like they don't believe someone, or pretend like they are incredulous...as Gotcow said: you were in the wrong, and while you probably did not deserve to be tasered, an opportunistic PO will take that opportunity to probe your "state of mind"  

7 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

One police tactic in dealing with citizens is to ask disingenuously stupid questions to see how "perp citizen" will react to them. It's a species of bad cop act--putting pressure on someone, seeing what pops out their mouth...….  

To your point. 

A good number of years back, just a few miles west of the Weston Tolls, heading eastbound in the far right hand lane, a tractor trailer side swiped me.  I travelled to the left, across three traffic lanes, hit the median guard rail nose on, was it in the rear by another vehicle, spun around and travelled to the right across three traffic lanes and ended up with the car nose against the right hand guard rail. 

Radiator steam is spewing out, all four sides are demolished, and the car is visually totaled.  Thankfully I was not hurt.  I got of car and waited while few motorists stopped to see if they could assist.  Finally, a SP pulls up.  As he approached, I lit up a cigarette.  When he got near he said, "I don't like cigarette smoke and I don't like anyone who smokes".  I'm some what take aback by the comment and proceeded to snuff the cigarette.  He then asked me, "Are you a school teacher?".

I found that a bit strange.