FishermanTim

Duxbury is not worth the effort anymore...

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

As Steve in Mass said, this is a very confusing post all around. On a dropping tide, the "wrong" side of the bridge would carry your lure/bait right into the pilings. It is also difficult to throw lures off the bridge any distance due to the angle of your retrieve (unless you bounce jigs) - sandy beaches from shore provide a better chance IMO.

In the last 2-3 years, enforcement has increased and many harbormasters and cops are strictly monitoring fishing on the "wrong" side. They even have new signs saying "no fishing on this side of the bridge." I've fished there since I could walk and often times fish on the "wrong" side. If an officer mentions something - I simply apologize and switch sides. No harm, no foul especially since I know I am in the wrong. Sometimes some guys are difficult, but in the 15 years I've fished it - it has only happened a few times. Good to see that the bridge will be a little less crowded now!

15 hours ago, bumknee said:

I have been there only 3-4 times this year, and I have not seen Santa this year, but anyone who knows him, knows that he will fish multiple poles bungy corded to the bay side drifting chunks and cross over to throw on the other side with another pole. He has been there for years, and I read an earlier thread where people were complaining about him, and some were defending him. I always liked him. He was friendly and always offered up tips to fish the bridge. Has anyone seen him this year? Every time I go to PP and don't see him, I get kinda worried about him. He was next to me-1o-12 years ago- when I hooked into a shark on a pogy head, and he comes running over yelling"Sand Tiger, Sand Tiger"!!

It almost pulled the pole out of my hands. I was able to reel it in to the pilings where it chewed through my mono and swam away.

The last couple of years, the DPD or harbor master guys will slow down and eye you over, but I have not had any confrontations. I will throw over the back side, but I keep my eye out and move back when they are approaching.

I was just saying the same thing to my wife the other day about "Santa".  Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing him last season either.  I drive over that bridge at least 7-8 times a week and have yet to see him.  Hope he's okay.

Yeah, sorry to hear he has come up missing. I haven't fished it much at all the last few years, but I certainly remember seeing him often in the past.

Maybe Hot Fish Girl knows, as she frequents those parts........?

I have fished that bridge since the 90's.

"Santa" was the one that got me using Storm Shads when they first came out.

I'll usually target the outgoing/falling tide as late as I can so that the traffic is minimal.

The harbormaster patrol on the beach side would normally head home around midnight, maybe later on weekends, and I would fish both sides. Virtually every officer I've encountered in those 20+ years would either stop and shoot the breeze (as they were anglers themselves) or just keep driving their patrol.

The officer I encountered this week was the first to ever stop and comment on where I was fishing. That I could understand, but his demeanor was what struck me as rude.

I was polite and honest in my replies to his questions, but he pretty much said I was a liar when I explained why I fished that side of the bridge. I guess he doesn't know squat about that bridge and the fish around it, as when I've explained the same thing to every other officer in the past they fully understood what I meant and why I was fishing that side.

I don't know what may have happened to Santa, but I do know he's had back issues over the years that has directly affected his fishing.

21 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Every day.

The wrong side is much better on odd-numbered days. You could try the right side on odd days but you'd have to stand on your head and cast left handed.

Santa is now 85 years young.He has had problems with his back and can not stand without the help of a walker.I see him every few weeks when i stop by the north pole with some fish/lobsters to give him.

I myself  have not fished the bridge once this year which is incredible after fishing the bridge almost every day last spring-fall and caught 68 keepers,my new bridge record.I started a new job this year working on a charter boat and a commercial fishing boat for lobsters and tuna.I love the lobster fishing,I like the tuna fishing,and i really can't stand the charter fishing. Filleting fish for hours,dealing with the public,scrubbing a messy boat are all not much fun.My last charter for the year in the books is tomorrow and the weather looks nasty.Soon i will have time to fish a few mornings at the bridge but if its like last year the fall fishing sucked.

As far as the fishing the wrong side goes i will always fish the wrong side of the bridge on an incoming tide until i am scolded.I play the dumb girl act.The new harbor master is a real prick and even puts the blue lights on the cruiser when scolding.

Most of the home owner's sheds in Duxbury have a higher property value than my ranch house. The elitism and disdain for outsiders/riff-raff has always been a source of entertainment for my fishing buddy and myself. The DPD and harbor master are just letting us know that we are barely tolerated.

Santa must have a hard time not holding court on the bridge doing what he loves. It sucks getting old. With my rotator cuff, elbow, and 7 knee surgeries, I can no longer cast as far as one needs to at the canal.

18 hours ago, bumknee said:

Most of the home owner's sheds in Duxbury have a higher property value than my ranch house. The elitism and disdain for outsiders/riff-raff has always been a source of entertainment for my fishing buddy and myself. The DPD and harbor master are just letting us know that we are barely tolerated.

Santa must have a hard time not holding court on the bridge doing what he loves. It sucks getting old. With my rotator cuff, elbow, and 7 knee surgeries, I can no longer cast as far as one needs to at the canal.

There is an annual secret meeting held in one of the afformentioned sheds to address/maintain this ;)

Edited by FoliFish

One thing I find particularly ironic is that that bridge has been "repaired" numerous times over the years, kind of like the "bandaid on a bullet wound" affect.

They should replace it with a walk-way on BOTH sides, but as mentioned earlier, Duxbury doesn't "take kindly to strangers in their parts"....

That reminds me of a time over 25 years back when we started having dry/drought summers and watering bans were put into effect. Seems that Marshfield had a water ban in effect while Duxbury didn't, yet they were using the same water supply... That was around the time my sister in Marshfield sunk a well so she could water her garden whenever she wanted.

35 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

One thing I find particularly ironic is that that bridge has been "repaired" numerous times over the years, kind of like the "bandaid on a bullet wound" affect.

They should replace it with a walk-way on BOTH sides, but as mentioned earlier, Duxbury doesn't "take kindly to strangers in their parts"....

That reminds me of a time over 25 years back when we started having dry/drought summers and watering bans were put into effect. Seems that Marshfield had a water ban in effect while Duxbury didn't, yet they were using the same water supply... That was around the time my sister in Marshfield sunk a well so she could water her garden whenever she wanted.

Starting to sound like there's much more of an ax to grind or agenda here than a one-time encounter with local PD/HM

Living in the next town over for most of my life I find duxbury is pretty good with numerous non resident shore parking access points, esp when compared to many other south shore towns such as scituate and cohasset.