FishermanTim

Duxbury is not worth the effort anymore...

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Now I will begin by saying that the incident that occurred was my fault. I'm not disputing that.

My issue is that the attitude of the person involved was a little less than professional.

I was fishing the Powder Point bridge last night after high tide.

Now, I like fishing on the "wrong" side of the bridge during the falling tide because the fish tend to follow the bait as it gets washed out into the bay.

I don't fish there during the summer, and not during the early evening hours because of the constant traffic going back and forth.

I have been doing this for close to 25 years. On a handful of occasions I've been "reminded" by the harbormaster stationed there about doing this, but since I tend to fish later at night I don't tend to encounter them often.

Now last night I was confronted by a Duxbury police officer that began to berate me and threatened me with a $200+ citation for fishing the wrong side.

When he asked me why I liked fishing that side, I explained honestly why I do, and he pretty much called me a liar to my face. I can only presume that he doesn't fish and knows nothing about fishing that area.

In my 25 years of fishing that bridge I have encountered NUMEROUS officers that pass by on patrol. Many will stop and shoot the breeze about the fishing.

NEVER have they said anything about where I was fishing and NEVER took that tone right from the start.

Since I am not bait fishing, and the fish I am after seem to congregate on the inland side of the bridge, I don't fish the bay side much at all.

The fishing is poor at best (from my experiences) and all I end up with is a good walk.

Sadly, if they are going to fully enforce that rule on the bridge, I won't be making the trip any longer.

It's too far to travel for such little reward for the efforts.

(On almost all of the trips 95% of the fish I catch are from the wrong side of the bridge. The other 1% are caught at the town pier.)

I'm not saying that everyone should follow suite, just that for me the trip isn't worth it in the overall scheme of things.

Maybe the guy was having a bad night and took it out on you?  Happens to everyone.  25 years fishing that way and you're going to toss it after 1 bad experience?  I've only been in town for a few years now, and have had nothing but pleasant encounters with DPD/DHM officers.

This entire post confuses me:

44 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Now, I like fishing on the "wrong" side of the bridge during the falling tide because the fish tend to follow the bait as it gets washed out into the bay.

Seems to me the "wrong" side of the bridge is up-current on a falling tide. :squid:

47 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Since I am not bait fishing, and the fish I am after seem to congregate on the inland side of the bridge, I don't fish the bay side much at all.

The fishing is poor at best (from my experiences) and all I end up with is a good walk.

This part I can make neither heads or tails of. :confused:

At any rate, haven't been there in the summer/fall months in a long time. When I used to be, night time there was rarely ever an issue with the wrong side or even parking where you weren't supposed to. The parking thing changed a few years back.

Since I haven't been there, wondering how the trash and noise and such is. Perhaps like so many other spots, some folks were inconsiderate, the local property owners who have a strong pull at town hall start to complain, and so you get what you are describing here as a first discouraging step.....and soon, fishing may be off limits altogether.

Not saying this is necessarily the case here, but just asking.  

It's technically a safety matter, and falls into the "selective enforcement" problem ... the Bay side has the sidewalk and space to fish without endangering cars or fishermen. While you may be a very conscientious fishermen and wary of traffic (I realize there is little to none at some hours), there is always some clown who is drunk, unaware or just stubborn and puts cars and himself in danger. It's tough to play the selective enforcement game and not get sued by someone.

I don't know what it's like now, but when I was a kid there was a fair amount of drunk teenagers driving on the bridge at night ... not sure I'd want to put myself in that danger by fishing the non-sidewalk

I have been there only 3-4 times this year, and I have not seen Santa this year, but anyone who knows him, knows that he will fish multiple poles bungy corded to the bay side drifting chunks and cross over to throw on the other side with another pole. He has been there for years, and I read an earlier thread where people were complaining about him, and some were defending him. I always liked him. He was friendly and always offered up tips to fish the bridge. Has anyone seen him this year? Every time I go to PP and don't see him, I get kinda worried about him. He was next to me-1o-12 years ago- when I hooked into a shark on a pogy head, and he comes running over yelling"Sand Tiger, Sand Tiger"!!

It almost pulled the pole out of my hands. I was able to reel it in to the pilings where it chewed through my mono and swam away.

The last couple of years, the DPD or harbor master guys will slow down and eye you over, but I have not had any confrontations. I will throw over the back side, but I keep my eye out and move back when they are approaching.