chitala383

first time tying

61 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, reelfire said:

What heads are those?

They are the Point Jude Wobblehead. They come in two size 3/4oz and 1 1/2oz. Just like chitala383 is using. 

We cant tell by the pics.  If your thread tension was good with the spiderwire you used to wrap them then you can catch some fish on them.  If the tension was bad you are going to have hairs either broken or floating away as soon as they hit the water.

After I'm done I pull on the hairs to pull out any loose ones. I usually pull out a few but for the most part they seem nice and secure.

9 mins ago, chitala383 said:

After I'm done I pull on the hairs to pull out any loose ones. I usually pull out a few but for the most part they seem nice and secure.

When you start wrapping coat the thread with your glue, then a few more wraps and repeat with the glue because the glue might not be getting absorbed into the threads.

See what I'm saying.  The spiderwire didnt cinch down enough on the thread or you were wrapping to much thread on the shank at a time.  I wish I could teach you but I live in Florida

42 mins ago, bayyaker54 said:

When you start wrapping coat the thread with your glue, then a few more wraps and repeat with the glue because the glue might not be getting absorbed into the threads.

That's exactly what I do.

36 mins ago, chunk said:

See what I'm saying.  The spiderwire didnt cinch down enough on the thread or you were wrapping to much thread on the shank at a time.  I wish I could teach you but I live in Florida

I'm getting better, I think. Haha. It's a learning experience, and I'm having fun doing it. 

Chit, if you eventually try the tamden rig, remember to sparsely tie in bucktail on the hook and the shank extension otherwise there would be too much drag on the “tail” and you won’t get the wobble that the wobblehead is all about.  My first was bulked up, did a test swim and didn’t like the results so I took a electric razor to it and thinned it out.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna try that eventually. I got some of those articulated shanks. I want to hone my skills a little more before I try something like that.

I’m a steelhead junkie with a bad back and that cold kills me so I don’t tie anymore until I get back up there. I’m living in Florida doing sweet water fishing and bridge fishing the keys

7 hours ago, chunk said:

Do you need any tools. I might have good tools

I appreciate it but no, I'm good on tools. I bought a little fly tying tool kit. Thanks though.

Posted (edited)

The wrap looks just fine there IMO ... but I would use longer and slightly  more hair .. and I like the to put the flash down each side where the lateral line would be ..  really just a preference thing .. does one way work better then another ? Probably not , just a confidence thing i guess 

and the way you ever fish your home made pork ?? I had bunch of blues on it this spring and held up great .. ended up getting a bunch of uncle josh off a dude so the home made took a back seat for now .. still have a lifetime worth sitting in a jars curing away 

Edited by Wire For Fire