chitala383

first time tying

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Magnifying glasses or lighted magnifying desk mount  lens works really well and your eyes wont strain. Bobber for sure and get a mid priced rotating vice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It becomes a slight addiction as you continue.  If you're in NJ hit up the Saltwater Expo in March.  There's vendors there with cheap supplies/materials.  I load up once every couple of yrs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fishless said:

It becomes a slight addiction as you continue.  If you're in NJ hit up the Saltwater Expo in March.  There's vendors there with cheap supplies/materials.  I load up once every couple of yrs. 

It definitely is addicting, I usually hit the fly fishing expo that  is a few weeks before the Saltwater show for my supplies. I add eyes with uv expoxy,  the first row to the right are tamden rigged. 12-14 inches long. They do catch, and tying in bt, you don’t have to worry about a bluefish chomping your sluggo or hogy in half. Nice tying.

F450404E-8069-4DDA-A58F-0B6549B94F57.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2018 at 11:53 PM, chitala383 said:

These are my first 4 attempts (from left to right) at tying my own jigs. As you can see I'm getting better/neater already. These are Pt Jude wobbleheads that I stripped and spray painted. Or in the case of the second one, just stripped. The first one I finished with etex, the second is finished with jb weld 5 minute epoxy. The red and aqua one need epoxy yet. I have some powder paint on order, so I'll be repainting with that from here on out. Also gonna dye some of the bucktail hair. I'm really enjoying this so far. No tying vise, I clamp the jigs in a 4" bench vise mounted to my work bench. The "thread" is 10lb spiderwire invisibraid. I'll dab a little super glue gel on the jig, wrap a few times to get it started, place my bucktail hair, then wrap till I'm happy with it. I put another coat of super glue after I finish wrapping just to kinda hold it in place. Then epoxy.  What do you guys think? Tips, tricks, pointers?

0905182336_HDR.jpg

Nice color, I kept the body black but scraped the paint off the side to give it a flash. Also added some stick on eyes but covered them with uv expoxy just to make sure they didn’t pop off. As far as dying the bt, I get it already colored. When it really gets addicting you can add some flash to the bt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

It definitely is addicting, I usually hit the fly fishing expo that  is a few weeks before the Saltwater show for my supplies. I add eyes with uv expoxy,  the first row to the right are tamden rigged. 12-14 inches long. They do catch, and tying in bt, you don’t have to worry about a bluefish chomping your sluggo or hogy in half. Nice tying.

F450404E-8069-4DDA-A58F-0B6549B94F57.jpeg

Very nice Bay. Would you mind explaining how you rig the tandem ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chitala383 said:

Very nice Bay. Would you mind explaining how you rig the tandem ones?

You can use mono, but if there’s bluefish around, you just waisted a whole lot of tying for nothing. You can find these  articulated shanks in fly shops or on line. You can tie in one, or two shanks. Anymore then that, there is too much Drag and you won’t get the wobble that makes this a killer. First I’ll tie bucktail on a hook, slip the eye of the hook onto the open end of that shank, wrap the open end close. Coat with Sally Hanson ,  Wrap more bucktail to that exposed shank half way up, (if I am only using one shank)  tthen wrap the front end of the  shank to the wobblehead  then wrap bucktail on that wobblehead hook. If you are using two shanks, wrap the shank closer to the tail hook full  length, but remember, less is more,  you don’t have to load it up with a lot of bucktail, otherwise you’ll get that Drag I was talking about. Wrap the open end close on the second shank the add bucktail halfway then wrap the bare end to your wobblehead shank then add bucktail to the wobblehead.. hope I explained it right. I’ll help anyway I can.70C08F3F-6F3B-4208-9FF2-AE01039F42FE.jpeg.a8efc9876a1d48b1d4c827d1470efe41.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2018 at 11:53 PM, chitala383 said:

These are my first 4 attempts (from left to right) at tying my own jigs. As you can see I'm getting better/neater already. These are Pt Jude wobbleheads that I stripped and spray painted. Or in the case of the second one, just stripped. The first one I finished with etex, the second is finished with jb weld 5 minute epoxy. The red and aqua one need epoxy yet. I have some powder paint on order, so I'll be repainting with that from here on out. Also gonna dye some of the bucktail hair. I'm really enjoying this so far. No tying vise, I clamp the jigs in a 4" bench vise mounted to my work bench. The "thread" is 10lb spiderwire invisibraid. I'll dab a little super glue gel on the jig, wrap a few times to get it started, place my bucktail hair, then wrap till I'm happy with it. I put another coat of super glue after I finish wrapping just to kinda hold it in place. Then epoxy.  What do you guys think? Tips, tricks, pointers?

0905182336_HDR.jpg

I remember when I 1st started tying myself, that being said PM me your address I'll hook you up with a few jigheads to tie. Love seeing others get into tying.

IMG-2561.JPG

IMG-2907.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, nchit said:

I remember when I 1st started tying myself, that being said PM me your address I'll hook you up with a few jigheads to tie. Love seeing others get into tying.

That'd be awesome, I really appreciate it. Pm on it's way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use super glue throughout the wraps too.   I use sparse wraps and let the super glue soak into the wraps and the bucktail under the wraps.   It is very secure and you don't have to worry about the bucktail falling out when you are fishing.   That happened to me on my first couple tries when I was using nail polish.  No need for nail polish or head cement after applying super glue, just be careful not get any super glue on the bucktail that is past the wrap.   You will end up with a big hard clump of bucktail..     Don't ask how I know that ...

Edited by UncleJohn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

I use super glue throughout the wraps too.   I use sparse wraps and let the super glue soak into the wraps and the bucktail under the wraps.   It is very secure and you don't have to worry about the bucktail falling out when you are fishing.   That happened to me on my first couple tries when I was using nail polish.  No need for nail polish or head cement after applying super glue, just be careful not get any super glue on the bucktail that is past the wrap.   You will end up with a big hard clump of bucktail..     Don't ask how I know that ...

After a few awkward questions my wife picked up a bottle of hard as nails for me yesterday. I tied another one last night using it. I think I like the super glue gel better. The nail polish is good for a top coat, but for everything else I think I prefer super glue gel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I been using 2lbs mono for about everything lately . On my surf candies it’s goes pretty much completely clear under the epoxy ...  on bucks I just super glue over it at the end .. turns rock hard , and is dry quick ...  if blues are around they gonna chomp hair off no matter what you use to finish the threads .. I like that the super glue cuts right off easy with razor knife when time for a re tie .. but to each is own .. there’s many ways to get it done here with same results more or less 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my longest at 14 inches, I call anaconda.

the first pic is the hook tied, second is the shank connected to the hook, the third is the shank that is wrapped halfway and wrapped to the wobblehead shank and the forth is the wobblehead.C245AFF8-BF67-40A6-92CD-106CD2FC2880.jpeg.f29f7ada01951f686a217ac301ee446d.jpeg

983C247C-0A40-4AE5-B264-1B5599C876EA.jpeg

F5FADF96-C25C-4DC0-B0BA-5C036C587174.jpeg

FF09159B-C03E-4CA4-A971-2B34B59F58F6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another one I just finished up. Pro tech powder painted two tone. The wraps are a little thicker than I was hoping for, but I wanted red wraps and all I had was red sewing thread which kept breaking so I couldn't wrap it as tight as I wanted . Although, in hindsight, I could've used the white spiderwire I've been using and just Sharpie'd it red.  Finally got a cheap little vise and some tools to make life easier.

0912182221.jpg

0912182221_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, bayyaker54 said:

It definitely is addicting, I usually hit the fly fishing expo that  is a few weeks before the Saltwater show for my supplies. I add eyes with uv expoxy,  the first row to the right are tamden rigged. 12-14 inches long. They do catch, and tying in bt, you don’t have to worry about a bluefish chomping your sluggo or hogy in half. Nice tying.

F450404E-8069-4DDA-A58F-0B6549B94F57.jpeg

What heads are those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.