chitala383

first time tying

61 posts in this topic

These are my first 4 attempts (from left to right) at tying my own jigs. As you can see I'm getting better/neater already. These are Pt Jude wobbleheads that I stripped and spray painted. Or in the case of the second one, just stripped. The first one I finished with etex, the second is finished with jb weld 5 minute epoxy. The red and aqua one need epoxy yet. I have some powder paint on order, so I'll be repainting with that from here on out. Also gonna dye some of the bucktail hair. I'm really enjoying this so far. No tying vise, I clamp the jigs in a 4" bench vise mounted to my work bench. The "thread" is 10lb spiderwire invisibraid. I'll dab a little super glue gel on the jig, wrap a few times to get it started, place my bucktail hair, then wrap till I'm happy with it. I put another coat of super glue after I finish wrapping just to kinda hold it in place. Then epoxy.  What do you guys think? Tips, tricks, pointers?

0905182336_HDR.jpg

I've found that it doesn't need to be perfect or pretty.  Fish don't care.  If the hairs move in the water, fish will bite it.

Can see the improvement .. like said I stopped aiming for perfectoin too .. the fish don’t care ..  I would get yourself some crystal flash and tie in a few strands as well .. 

14 mins ago, SamWalker said:

Those look horrible... Honesty’s a virtue. 

I wonder what was there before the edit...LOL. But to the op, they'll catch, and that's what counts

Lots of progress just in the first 4. They should get gobbled up. Pick up some flat ultra thread. Makes the wraps easier and cleaner. Also a lot of guys use clear nail polish to cover the wraps as it’s cheap and readily available. Sally Jensen hard as nails. All lure work is what gets my through the winter months while still thinking about fishing. Tight lines.

28 mins ago, albacized said:

I wonder what was there before the edit...LOL. But to the op, they'll catch, and that's what counts

They will catch. I’m just being a dick. 

Posted (edited)

55 mins ago, SamWalker said:

Those look horrible... Honesty’s a virtue. 

I know, especially the first one looks like ass. Haha. I do appreciate honesty though.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I was thinking about picking up some crystal flash, I'll do that for sure. And I'll check it the thread too. I used the braid that I used because that's what I have lying around. I didn't want to buy stuff then decide I didn't enjoy making them. But since I do I'll pick up some thread too.

Edited by chitala383

Honestly the biggest thing I can suggest is practice on some old bucktails first. Keep the thread more compact, not as elongated. Every bucktail you tie will get better and better. In a week you will be Picasso, and in a month you will be monet 

The more you tie the more you will excel, keep at it and you'll have so much supplies :)

Posted (edited)

Not too bad for your first attempts. As others said, the fish don't care. Using that old braid is fine, but at some point you'll want to get some thread. Nylon thread is what most folks use, and is likely a better choice than the braid. Braid has little, if any stretch, nylon threads stretch some & that helps hold materials without as many wraps. You don't need to get tying threads either, for bigger jigs like you're tying, a heavy nylon sewing thread will serve the purpose. I buy large spools of what is commonly called T-70 or T- 69 nylon thread which is used for such things as sewing canvas and some upholstery, and smaller spools of similar sized nylon threads can be obtained in most shops that sell sewing supplies.  I transfer the thread to smaller spools, old spools from fly tying threads, and use it to tie jigs. These threads are available in many colors too. If you don't have a thread bobbin, get a good large one that has a ceramic insert. Makes wrapping threads much easier & the ceramic tip insert won't wear out with the heavier threads. The advice & suggestions already mentioned will help you improve, and the more your tie, the better you should get. I'm always tying something. Here's one of my current projects. They're 1/2 oz heads. I have a box of heads in various weights & styles ready to be tied, I just needed to get them done. These pics I took a few years ago, but I have similar heads that still haven't been tied. I'll tie some sparse, and some more heavily dressed. Not only will the hair add movement to a jig, with bucktail, it can also affect the sink rate, so sometimes less is better than more, sometimes a heavily dressed jig can be an advantage depending on the situation. Please keep us informed of your progress! :)

100_4962.JPG

100_4963.JPG

100_4964.JPG

Edited by tidewaterfly

Get yourself some tying thread and a bobbin, it will make your life alot easier.  DIY or buy a whip finishing tool.  Ransack your wife's makup draw to find goodies like clear nail polish, hook files, small scissors... etc. When she is not looking of course. 

Your first efforts aren't bad and I have to say that they are much better than what I first produced. A bobbin and the right thread will help you a lot. Super glue works for  head cement but I am partial to Nail polish. As others have suggested Sally Hanson Hard as Nails is very good. I use it all the time. Don't tie in too large a bunch of hair all at once. Several small "pinches" will serve you much better than trying to distribute one large bunch around the hook. Also, you really don't need to use so much thread. Just enough to attach the hair to the hook, followed by a few finishing wraps covered with head cement is enough. I usually apply head cement throughout my tie. It ensures that the cement penetrates all the layers of thread. Tying is really all about teaching your hands the proper sequence of movements. It's all muscle memory. Tie a hundred of those things and you'll have it down. Good job and good luck. Cheers!

I thought about picking up a bobbin, they're cheap enough that I probably should.  I'll check out the hard as nails stuff too. I've been doing just one larger bunch of hair that I wrap loosely at first. I'll arrange the hair to where I'm happy with it then wrap tight. It seems to be working for me. I've been applying the super glue throughout the wraps too, it makes me feel like its more secure. Thanks for all the feedback and tips guys.