D_L

Lure Advice

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Just getting started in Surf fishing. This is what I have so far. Fishing is SF/San Mateo coast area. Would really appreciate any help with what I can add to my arsenal. 

1B4CA762-A55B-4427-997E-4E6E01E55E23.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a beginner you can really learn a lot by having different size bucktails from 1/2 to 2oz.  As Winch says “boring as hell” but damn good method for a beginner to learn the surf.  There is so many methods to catch a fish, its up to the angler to figure that out.  Often may have to step out of your comfort zone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, norcalkat said:

As a beginner you can really learn a lot by having different size bucktails from 1/2 to 2oz.  As Winch says “boring as hell” but damn good method for a beginner to learn the surf.  There is so many methods to catch a fish, its up to the angler to figure that out.  Often may have to step out of your comfort zone.  

Thanks for the tip. Appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

Also some swimbaits, Big Hammer, Storm Shads, ROBO, etc.

Thanks so much. By the way your son is adorable. Saw him on one of the other threads. In the late 80s and early 90s I spent a lot of time in Carmel/Monterey scuba diving. In particular Monastery Beach. I believe you mentioned you live near there? I will add those to my arsenal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, and even newer noob here... I kind of get what a 'bucktail' is, but I kind of don't. Nothing on the shelf really says 'bucktail' on it.  What would the package say, and which types in general should I try for surf fishing the Monterey Bay?  And... how do you fish with them?  Totally fine if your answers are 'lmgtfy' or Youtube links.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cubeconvict,

 

Spro is a bucktail brand I've seen at Outdoor World in Monterey. Other striper-grade brands you can get online are Andrus and **************.

 

The general idea is to fish them as close to the bottom as possible and as slow as possible. Add an occasional twitch to entice a reaction bite. Time your cast to land behind a cresting wave. Hopping the lure back to you is another technique.

 

White and chartreuse are productive colors.

 

1/2, 3/4, 1, 1.25, 1.5 oz are good weights for the surf. If your weight is too light the jig will swim over the fish's head. Too heavy and you'll be dragging in the sand, or reeling too fast for the fish to catch up to the jig. The challenge is finding the sweet spot for whatever condition you're fishing.

 

The amount of hair and the addition of a trailer affect the depth that the jig will swim, and how well it will cast.

 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, thebayway said:

cubeconvict,

 

Spro is a bucktail brand I've seen at Outdoor World in Monterey. Other striper-grade brands you can get online are Andrus and **************.

 

The general idea is to fish them as close to the bottom as possible and as slow as possible. Add an occasional twitch to entice a reaction bite. Time your cast to land behind a cresting wave. Hopping the lure back to you is another technique.

 

White and chartreuse are productive colors.

 

1/2, 3/4, 1, 1.25, 1.5 oz are good weights for the surf. If your weight is too light the jig will swim over the fish's head. Too heavy and you'll be dragging in the sand, or reeling too fast for the fish to catch up to the jig. The challenge is finding the sweet spot for whatever condition you're fishing.

 

The amount of hair and the addition of a trailer affect the depth that the jig will swim, and how well it will cast.

 

Good luck!

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 2:10 PM, Linesideslayer said:

Add a few Top water baits, Cotton Cordell, Jumpin Minnow (self-loaded) or Yozuri Hydro Pencil. Once you witness one explode on one, you may not want to fish any other way!

I'm still waiting for the first bass to happen at this point I'll take one underwater lol. Hope you are doing well been a while since the hat fling

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 mins ago, BirdDog said:

and I would add that to be aware for strikes as your bucktail is sinking. i get bit often on the sink.

Will do. Working on bucktails is definitely on the list.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, BirdDog said:

and I would add that to be aware for strikes as your bucktail is sinking. i get bit often on the sink.

Bird Dog - looking at your avatar - is that Oceano Dunes State Park?  If so I would like to pick your brain on SUV operation there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.