Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I am currently looking into buying a new surf rod and equipping it with a Van Staal.  I have never before owned a Van Staal, and I am unsure of the size that I should get for my rod.  The rod that I am buying is a 9'6" Shimano Tiralejo.  It is rated medium action.  From what I've heard, VS150 is for rods in the 9' range and the VS200 is more for rods in the 10' range.  This stumps me because the rod that I am getting is right in between these estimates.   If I were to buy the VS 200 I am worried that the reel would be too heavy and bulky for a long day of surfcasting.  I am not so much worried about extreme drag or extreme line capacity.  Because of this, I am leaning more towards the 150.  Just wanted to ask everyone's opinions before I pulled the trigger on such an expensive reel.   

Its def alil trade off between the two .. of you tossing 2-3oz mosly going for long bomb cast the 200 would be more effective, not that the 150 wouldn’t work cause it would , just alil more crank power is better on them long hook sets , if tossing 3/4-2 is more your thing 150 is nicer not that a 200 couldn’t so , 12 of one a dozen of the other 

The rod you are buying is an extremely light rod designed by Shimano for Long Distance Casting.  When considering the use of short, wide spools reels in this application, the enemy of distance is reduction in line volume of the spool, which exposes more of the lip and thus progressively increases friction as the line curves around the spool lip further along in the cast.  This is the reason for the genesis of long cast spools, which hold much more line along the length of the spool, and thus for the same loss of line, have a much smaller exposure of the spool lip. Similarly, a 200 sized spool will give you a longer cast that a 150 size spool.  Before my hand nerve damage set in, I fished a 200VS on my 9ft 3in All-Star (1-3oz) and a 250VS on my 10ft St. Croix Ben Doer Elite (1-4oz) spinner, and was quite satisfied with the casting distance on both.

That being said, if you have your heart set on owning a VS, my recommendation is for either a VSX or VR model, as they provide a flat line build up on the spool, as opposed to the "hour-glass lay" on the older VS models.  Yes, you can "hump" the line on the spool (which is what I do with my USA VS's), but you will occasionally need to rebuild the hump during the season - not achievable w/o the right fixturing.  I fished my VS200 on my FSC Predator 1386 (11ft 6in) surf rod for several years, but had the opportunity to try a friend's VR200 and was hooked, as the difference in weight between the two reels is quite discernable, and doing so has allowed me to plug for much longer periods without loss of sensation in my right hand.

Edited by FlatWing

If youre not worried about line capacity go with the 150. The 150 may take some yards off your casting potential but I like the appeal of a light setup for casting all day. 

Iv recently got a VR175 for my 10'6" st criox mojo 2-6 and i'm a big fan. very light but holds a ton of line. 50 yard 30 lb mono backing and 40 lb braid for 300 yards. casts a mile and its light enough i can do it all day

3 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

VS200. Imo this reel is the most versatile and will match up with a 9 1/2 foot rod . The 150 is a great reel but a little small for some surf applications.

I would agree. I own two 150’s and going to get a 200 hopefully soon. I think that the 150’s are the most fun size to fish, but i do agree that they have limitations. My knock against them is not the line capacity or casting distance limitations, but the fact that it is a task to fish plugs 3 oz or over with the 150’s, especially in current. 

With that said, i still love them. If you’re rod is gonna be that 9’6 Shimano, my personal opinion is to go with a 150. That will be a great fun light weight setup.