Loop to loop connections

Rate this topic

FishHawk II

On 9/5/2018 at 4:19 PM, bobbrown said:

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by hinge. And how exactly do you notice it in your cast.

thanks

You do notice it, although I don't think I'd call it a hinge. If you've ever used a swivel or split ring on a leader, that's definitely hinging. Loop/loop doesn't feel anything like that.

I change it up depending on what I'm doing. For floating lines 7wt and under, I'm using a nail knot 90% of the time. For smaller density compensated lines, factory welds are fine, but you do want to keep an eye on them. For heavier floating lines I make my own loops using the same process that I use for finishing wind-on leaders. I use .004 mono, and start with a half hitch, make 20 or so wraps up, then finish with a series of half hitches. Then I'll hit it with a light coat of 30 minute epoxy. My loops outlast my lines. For large density compensated lines I use 30lb braided mono loops. I don't use tapered leaders with DC lines down here, and being able to break off the wrong fish is important. Getting dumped is nothing to brag about. Any fish swimming around with a fly line and 200+ yds of backing hanging out of his mouth won't survive long.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"