slip n slide

Any reports from the Cape?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Bear in mind this is my own objective account and not necessarily indicative of the overall quality of fishing right now - 

Bass fishing is great in the bay. Plenty of very fat and very aggressive schoolies feeding on peanut bunker with a fair number of keeper sized + fish mixed in. There are tons of baby bonito 10-14" in the bay as well, from Sandwich all the way up to at least Truro. Bonito around the southside sporadically close enough to hit from shore, and lots of harbor blues with bigger fish occasionally showing. Interesting transient tropical catches too - banded rudderfish, needlefish, all that.

No reports of albies yet at least in the circle of people I talk to. 

On 9/5/2018 at 8:53 AM, slip n slide said:

Thinking of making a trip up,try for albies and bones,maybe bass if there are any about? Any recent assessments of what things are like? thx!

SnSlide: pls check your pms.

flysully

have not spoken to you in a while.Hoping to meet up with Dave Skok sometime in the fall as i will be up in Mass late Sept. How are things out on Long Island? Have the albies shown up at Shinny? PM me with any news you have

Regards

Tom

2 hours ago, tomespo said:

flysully

have not spoken to you in a while.Hoping to meet up with Dave Skok sometime in the fall as i will be up in Mass late Sept. How are things out on Long Island? Have the albies shown up at Shinny? PM me with any news you have

Regards

Tom

Haven't heard of any albies here on LI so far. Seem to be late this year.

While I've been mostly focusing on Rhode Island for my bonito/albie kicks (thus far all bonito), I have made a couple of scouting trips to certain southside areas...and while I have not scored any hardtail action there, I have seen some sporadic tunoid activity just out of reach...with tons of small bass and blues to keep you occupied, if you're so inclined to try to wait out these tunoids on any given day

1 hour ago, Topwatercowboy said:

I have been skunked 2 weekends in a row on the southside from the beach. All im seeing is posts about guys crushing the southside but i havnt seen so much as a single bird working. 

Don't feel bad. We ran from Green Pond to Poppy and back all morning on Saturday with not a single fish spotted or single bird working. Then I get home and see just a few hours later guys crushing it in BBay. It's all about timing your existence to be in the right place at the right time,

9 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Slip

It is very spotty. No Rime nor reason.

Lot of bait but not molested.

Trying to figure it out.

Dog tired

Mike

Mike,

Conditions have been the same in Rhode Island for most of the Summer.  For two or three weeks now we've had tons of bait in the estuaries along the Southern Beaches, but fishing has been spotty.  Moving around helps some.  For those of us fortunate enough to have boats, sometimes it's just been a waste of fuel.  Most of the consistent catching has been at night.  I have also seen credible reports (meaning photos from reliable sources) that Block Island has been fishing well.

Mark