Harf

Was DeVos correct that 'Common Core Is Dead'?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Trend seems to be moving that way.

School Reformers Switch Gears
“Think local” is the hot idea among influencers like the Gates Foundation that once favored top-down initiatives like Common Core.

For two decades, the prevailing wisdom among education philanthropists and policymakers has been that the U.S. school system needs the guiding hand of centralized standard-setting to discipline ineffective teachers and bureaucrats. Much of that direction was guided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which has spent billions since 2000 to influence both schools and education policy.

But as schools open this year, top-down national initiatives based on standardized testing and curricular uniformity are in retreat.

Last fall, the Gates Foundation ended its support for a $575 million, six-year teacher-effectiveness project; the initiative had failed to meet the foundation’s goals to “dramatically improve student outcomes,” according to a recent study commissioned by the foundation.

Two dozen states started backing away from the Gates-backed Common Core State Standards not long after they were first embraced in 2010 (though many of these states retained “key elements” of the standards, according to a 2017 report by an education organization the foundation helps fund.) Earlier, the foundation acknowledged that “many of the small schools” that it invested in — the foundation’s first major education initiative — “did not improve students’ achievement in any significant way.”

Now, the foundation seems to be stepping back from sweeping national initiatives in its bid to remake education. In the coming years, its K-12 philanthropy will concentrate on supporting what it calls “locally driven solutions” that originate among networks of 20 to 40 schools, according to Allan Golston, who leads the foundation’s U.S. operations, because they have “the power to improve outcomes for black, Latino, and low-income students and drive social and economic mobility.”

If Gates hews to its new plan, it will mark a significant change from the top-down approach that characterized not only the recent work of the foundation and the continuing focus of other education-minded philanthropies, but also government policy. Think of "No Child Left Behind," the 2001 federal program dictating that all children achieve “grade level” by 2014; schools that failed to reach that mandate risked being closed, though, in practice, the U.S. education department granted states waivers from the most onerous requirements.

Or "Race to the Top," the initiative of President Barack Obama’s administration that offered cash to states that adopted the common-core curriculum and tied teacher evaluations to standardized test scores.

The Gates Foundation’s pivot represents an acknowledgment that when it comes to education reform, local experiments “done with, not to schools,” as Golston puts it, appear to be more promising than grand initiatives.

The foundation’s new strategy bears a striking resemblance to an undertaking that took root in New York City nearly 50 years ago, during the financial crisis of the 1970s. At the time, the legendary teacher Deborah Meier, who would later become the first educator to win a MacArthur Foundation genius award, helped spark a small-school renaissance that came to encompass well over 100 schools throughout the city.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-09-04/school-reform-common-core-is-out-think-local-is-in

Common Core was an attempt at central control at an issue that needs to be dealt with locally. Dumb GOP govs like Huckabee thought they were going to pull one over on the liberals who controlled the educational-political-industrial complex. They were suckered to make CC appear to be bipartisan and then coopted the effort. 

And it has failed miserably. I have spoken to teachers and they hated it.

Gates may have his/their ideology but he’s not an ideologue. His changing view is a sign he understands the state of play. 

Edited by tomkaz

1 min ago, tomkaz said:

Common Core was an attempt at central control at an issue that needs to be dealt with locally. Dumb GOP goes like Huckabee thought they were going to pull one over on the liberals who controlled the educational-political-industrial complex. They were suckered to make CC appear to be bipartisan and then coopted the effort. 

And it has failed miserably. I have spoken to teachers and they hated it.

Gates may have his/their ideology but he’s not an ideologue. His changing view is a sign he understands the state of play. 

My wife was a tutor in CC math.

The procedure to multiply simple numbers was crazy. They took simple stuff and complicated it to death.

What would be a couple step process the old fashioned way was expanded to a dozen steps or more, and didn't help the student understand the process any better. It lead to frustration and many kids just gave up.

35 mins ago, Cayotica said:

Common core was a great idea, that is until they filled it full of racist, anti-USA and pro communist ideals.  Then it became nothing more than a sick communist manifesto.

Omg!!! I didn't know this about CC. Can you tell me which CC standards advocate racism, anti-USA, or communist ideals? I would like help finding these.

The communists, racists, and Anti-USA people have obviously won.   They all conspired to elect Trump and move forward with his agenda.  Winning!

6 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Omg!!! I didn't know this about CC. Can you tell me which CC standards advocate racism, anti-USA, or communist ideals? I would like help finding these.

When will you Yanks learn that there’s more to racism than just whites suppressing the blacks.  It’s no small wonder there’s 2 definitions of racism in the dictionary, one exclusively for Americans.

1 hour ago, Cayotica said:

Common core was a great idea, that is until they filled it full of racist, anti-USA and pro communist ideals.  Then it became nothing more than a sick communist manifesto.

They fool a way to make it cool by driving emotions.  The dummies never realized the geni was never going back in the bottle once out:kook:

Edited by Harf

37 mins ago, Cayotica said:

When will you Yanks learn that there’s more to racism than just whites suppressing the blacks.  It’s no small wonder there’s 2 definitions of racism in the dictionary, one exclusively for Americans.

Right. So can you point me to the racist, communist, anti-USA CC standards or are you just full of crap? 

I don't doubt you feel persecuted by racism, and I feel for you...being discriminated against as much as you are. That must be tough. But hang in there. You can do it!

Also, can you point me to the 2 definitions of racism (specifically the one exclusively for Americans)? I would like to read it, and learn. Which dictionary did you find it in?

Federal education programs have ebbed and flowed in response to social needs since before the Depression. This was just one of the more short-lived experiments because it followed and too closely resembled the failure that preceded it, NCLB. 

Edited by saltydawg

28 mins ago, Harf said:

They fool a way to make it cool by driving emotions.  The dummies never realized the geni was never going back in the bottle once out:kook:

In which way does CC standards drive emotions? I'm neither for or against CC, but I do work with CC on an almost daily basis. To me, it is very much like managed care and insurance building. The must be accountability from the teachers, ensuring they are teaching something useful, as opposed to just teaching their own agenda.

Is your understanding of this different? How so?

2 mins ago, saltydawg said:

Federal education programs have ebbed and flowed in response to social needs since before the Depression. This was just one of the more short-lives experiments because it followed and too closely resembled the failure that preceded it, NCLB. 

Devos will finally get it right!