CJ.James

I need an upgrade

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Alright fellas, I need to upgrade my rod. I have an echo boost 9wt and its great, but I want something more. I just got a job promotion and want to treat myself.

I was looking at the echo EPR, TFO Axiom 2 or an Orvis H3. Main question is, is the extra $400-$500 worth it for the H3? I like the warranty for all companies. just deciding if I want to shoot for the stars with the H3 or settle with mid price range rods. I am looking at these in a 10wt.

If you you really want to treat yourself and if you don’t mind spending $900 for an Orvis rod then I would say shoot for the moon as you put it.

i clicked on you name just to see if your profile might say where your lived to see if you might be be in Mass because I was going to suggest a shop to go to test cast a rod. I struck out on that idea but it did bring up you previous posts and replies and I noticed on many occasions you always leery always looking for a good bargain brand rod in various weights,

My suggestion will be based on keeping with the bargain them. 

I would say say look at the Orvis Recon in a 10 weight and really treat yourself with the $400 you would save to maybe get yourself a new reel or some kosher piece of equipment that might need an upgrade.

Don’t even look at the cost of the rods. Just test cast everyone you can and see which one fits your needs the best. We all have a different approach to our casting and the rod can modify what’s wrong with our habits. 

Once you've found that rod that is rigt for you look at that tag. You’d be quite surprised at times with the highest price not the ideal rod for your style. 

Over the years ive found I don’t like ultra fast rods, they are to light in weight and I cant feel the bend of the rod in my hands. The best rod for me is the Sage rpl+. It’s an older model and quite reasonable in cost.  

I notice a considerable difference between most mid-range rods and high-end rods.  I'm different than saltfisherman in that I do like extra-fast rods - but it should be said that my main method of fishing is to try to cover as much water as possible blind casting, so I often will have a lot of line outside the rod tip.  I like them less for the shorter, sight-fishing game.

In any case, a quick search for "fly fishing closeouts" will uncover some great bargains.  I'm hinky about buying used rods.   I prefer to get 40%-50% off the top end new, use what's left to buy a used Hatch on ebay, and I have a sweet rig.

12 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

If you you really want to treat yourself and if you don’t mind spending $900 for an Orvis rod then I would say shoot for the moon as you put it.

i clicked on you name just to see if your profile might say where your lived to see if you might be be in Mass because I was going to suggest a shop to go to test cast a rod. I struck out on that idea but it did bring up you previous posts and replies and I noticed on many occasions you always leery always looking for a good bargain brand rod in various weights,

My suggestion will be based on keeping with the bargain them. 

I would say say look at the Orvis Recon in a 10 weight and really treat yourself with the $400 you would save to maybe get yourself a new reel or some kosher piece of equipment that might need an upgrade.

Most of the time I look for bargain priced rods and reels because that is all I could afford. Now with my new job, I can afford to spend a little coin on a rod and not feel too guilty about it. Obviously I don't want to just spend money to spend money, but I would rather invest in a great rod with a great warranty-like orvis-if I can. Their Hydros SL reel for the money is really sweet and I would love to find a mate for it.

I think I'm gonna agree with Dick. I have a Recon 7 wt and like it very much. 

I'd grab a Recon and put the extra $$ into a good solid nice reel and line and never look back.

FYI if you are throwing sinking lines the Echo boost salt you have is excellent for it.  If you sell it for cheap let me know.

In my opinion the top rods bring better accuracy, lighter weight, and most of the top salt rods are fast with very high line speed.

Now being an ex east coaster and knowing striped bass well.  I ask the question are you sight fishing for stripers?  If not accuracy does not matter.  If you are fishing the beach you want a rod that can throw distances.

Ask yourself seriously what you want a better 9wt to do and then report back here.

Another thing is higher end rods get a little more specific to task, where as mid range rods do everything sort of well.

Or if you want opinion on the best striper 9wt ( i want power in my 9wts for big flies and long casts, and good with multiple lines) see my list below

Loomis NRX

Loomis CC GLX

Sage Xi3

Orvis Recon 9wt ( not good for sinking lines, but good for long cast with intermediate and float lines)

Echo EPR ( likes heavy lines)

Edited by mightyrime

Also, the Sage Method and Winston BiiiX are both on closeout.

Why are you looking at the H3 specifically as your high end choice?  Would it be the H3D or H3F?

I too started out on value rods and over time slowly updated my quiver to include top line entries. One way I did this was to purchase gently used models from reputable sellers on Ebay.  There are a number of fly shops that will place their trade-ins there. While you don't get the OEM warranty on a used rod, chances are most high end manufacturers will offer to repair or replace a broken rod for a fee. (I've only needed repair service once to replace a broken snake guide on a TFO and had a great experience. Thanks TFO!) The other option is to wait until new models are introduced and to buy the prior model on closeout and get the full warranty. When Sage introduced the X, I took the opportunity to buy four new Sage One's at significant discount. As @BrokeOff mentioned, there are a few great options on closeout now and you may be able to still find an H2 or One out there.

Caveat emptor: a great discount isn't worth a whole lot if you are unhappy the rod in the long run. That's why the best option is to forget about names / models and test cast every rod you can. You may surprise yourself and discover that the rod that speaks to you is the one that is a bargain. Nobody wants buyer's remorse over a $1000 purchase.

I bought an Echo Ion XL earlier this year, and it has become my favorite, go-to rod. I prefer it to my Helios, Loomis and Sage rods that are far more expensive. And I think it is at least as well made as its pricier competitors.

I am also curious why the H3? I haven't cast one but picked it up yeah it felt nice in my hand but it should for that much money. I'd personally be nervous having a rod that expenisve hanging out in my car. Not sure going with any of those other rods is settling.

Have you put a line on an H3 and tryed er out yet? F or D model. Nice job on the promotion.

I didn't like the H3D in 10wt. The butt is too stiff for the rest of the rod. Also if you have a shop(s) in your area why not just go there, buy the line you will use most of the time with the rod, and test cast the rods you are interested in?

I have been a big fan of the Cabelas rods (LSi) and have tried their new Vectors and liked.  You can get multiple rods if you get them on sale.  If you ever break one (I never have) you won't cry.  They cast superbly.  Don't get caught up in the psychology of the name brand.  It's 85% in the taper/mandrel design and the other 15% in the pre-peg and resin...