DAQ

A piece of family history

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I am one of 5 children born to a career Navy man. When we were young the family loved to fish. We didn't have much money back then but my father was resourceful and loved to work on fishing related projects. He made a lot of what we fished with. He built all of our best surf rods, and even crafted our landing nets from handle to hoop, to hand woven mesh.

My father also hand carved/shaped a lot of the lures we used for fresh and salt water. The wood for saltwater plugs came from a variety of sources; old table legs, closet dowels, trees and brush in the yard, whatever he though he could use. Without any real plug making tools he improvised. He bore the channel for the through wire with a straight piece of wire cut at an angle, and spun it between his fingers. He cut the metal lips out of old metal mixing or dog bowls, and shaped and sized them with incredible consistency. Most plugs were painted with old house paint or left over Testors model paint. I'm not sure what the final coat was.

These are a couple of the last surviving hand crafts I have left, they are 40+ years old. I thought about having these refinished because I would love to fish them one more time but I'm to scared to alter or lose them.

I have some freshwater offerings he made, I'll try to track them down and post pictures of them too.

handcarve2.jpg

Treasure, hold on to them, not worth the chance at losing although the idea of catching really makes them a keepsake. The treasure is only yours, shared because your Dad made them, I'd fish them in a heartbeat, but my Dad didn't make them. You have the right to secure them. Thanks for sharing, many of us had great Dads.

Great little story, and those plugs look sweet. If I were in your shoes I'd hang up up or put them in a display case. No way I'd fish those. I know I'd be devastated if I lost one.

Thanks guys, these plugs mean a lot to me. I have toyed with the idea of shadow boxes, I guess it's time to look into them again.

Here are a few freshwater offerings he carved from tree branches. The skirts have seen better days, I'm pretty sure they were made from my mothers old dish washing gloves.

carve3.jpg

carve4.jpeg

Just now, chitala383 said:

Beautiful works of art right there. You said they're possibly dishwashing gloves, but The skirts look like leather. They're rubber?

Yeah, they are rubber, and quite brittle right now, haha. They are brown because they have not been changed in decades. 

Interesting idea. I think they are to far gone but I could try a few things. I have access to a huge selection of chemicals, I'll have to do some research.