Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brett

Fluke, too big?????

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Acording to an article in this weeks NY fisherman Magazine. Fluke are getting too big for commercial interests. "It seems anglers are crying that they cannot make money due to the fluke being so large!" "Fisherman are not having any problem catching there limit,its selling them"."We got an ocean full of large jumbo fluke that no one wants to buy"..............is this really the truth? I guess it sounds possible since they are making the NY size 17 inches they are trying to make us keep the larger fish.Hmm I WONDER!

-Brett

I wish, big fluke are a thing of the past! I remember in the early 80's to mid 80's, nothing but doormat fluke in the Delaware Bay. I was very young at the time, but you dont forget big fish when your that young.

The 70's were much better, according to my unkle he said you could load up on them all you could want.

Its possible they could be coming back???

SF

Sorry guys, hate to burst bubbles on this one but the article is right on the money here. Commercial netters are permitted to keep fluke at 14 inches. It is the 14 - 16 inch fish that are the mainstay of their existance. The markets want fillets, the fillets can't be too big, the consumer does not want them. My very good friend is a seafood wholesaler and we were discussing this very topic about a month ago where he enlightened me to this fact while I was expressing my disgust with the current management quota's for the recs. There are many more 3-5 pound fluke around now than in the last decade, perhaps even longer.

Gee, I wonder why there is a shortage of 14-16 inch fluke? Couldn't be from the netters targeting them. No, those fish are smarter than that , they grow to 12 inches and then disappear for a while till they get to be 3-5 lbs,and then come back inshore for the Recs to catch'em.

There are a few things that I should point out here...

There are medium Fluke , up to 2 pounds, 14" to about 17 1/2 inchees

There are large Fluke, 2 to 3.9 pounds and up to about 22 inches...

Then there are Jumbo Fluke, 4 pounds and up and over 22" or so...

Last year the going price for medium fluke was about $1.25 to as high as $2.25...

Sushi grade large fluke was about $1.40 to $3.75...

And Jumbo sushi grade fluke paid from $1.60 to as high as $5.25..

The prices varied all over the place and it was dependant on demand.. and which States were open and closed, etc...

The processors, buyers and restaurants are probably learning how to deal with and promote the smaller fish and are trying to save money to boot.

Restaurants can get small frozen So. Am. Fluke for much less $$$... and all they want... at any time of year.

But, as the spring/summer wears on and the demand for the biggest, highest quality Fluke becomes greater, the bigger fish will be brought in... and unfortunately, yet once again, much of the the smaller fish wastefully highgraded and discarded...

The best thing that could happen for the Fluke at this point would be that all sizes of fish paid exactly the same.

No quota driven, "NMFS style management", "market driven", forced highgrading to get the higher prices.

With the puny rebuilding quotas and "trip limits" the last 8 years, the fluke fishermen would bring in their 100 to 1000 lbs. of the largest highest paying Fluke.... and most times as just an unavoidable bycatch in the squid fisheries.

However....the winter and yellowtail flounder fisheries have no set trip limit quotas, and have esentially the same price for all sizes.. coupled with days at sea, large area closures and large mesh sizes.

The combination of this management style and market prices has been a good thing.

The waste in those fisheries has been cut way way back to next to nothing, and sustainability has been advanced and is close to being achieved.

There is a much better way in our Fluke fisheries... if we only had the nerve and the smarts to try.

Rhodester

There are a few things that I should point out here...

There are medium Fluke , up to 2 pounds, 14" to about 17 1/2 inchees

There are large Fluke, 2 to 3.9 pounds and up to about 22 inches...

Then there are Jumbo Fluke, 4 pounds and up and over 22" or so...

Last year the going price for medium fluke was about $1.25 to as high as $2.25...

Sushi grade large fluke was about $1.40 to $3.75...

And Jumbo sushi grade fluke paid from $1.60 to as high as $5.25..

The prices varied all over the place and it was dependant on demand.. and which States were open and closed, etc...

The processors, buyers and restaurants are probably learning how to deal with and promote the smaller fish and are trying to save money to boot.

Restaurants can get small frozen So. Am. Fluke for much less $$$... and all they want... at any time of year.

But, as the spring/summer wears on and the demand for the biggest, highest quality Fluke becomes greater, the bigger fish will be brought in... and unfortunately, yet once again, much of the the smaller fish wastefully highgraded and discarded...

The best thing that could happen for the Fluke at this point would be that all sizes of fish paid exactly the same.

No quota driven, "NMFS style management", "market driven", forced highgrading to get the higher prices.

With the puny rebuilding quotas and "trip limits" the last 8 years, the fluke fishermen would bring in their 100 to 1000 lbs. of the largest highest paying Fluke.... and most times as just an unavoidable bycatch in the squid fisheries.

However....the winter and yellowtail flounder fisheries have no set trip limit quotas, and have esentially the same price for all sizes.. coupled with days at sea, large area closures and large mesh sizes.

The combination of this management style and market prices has been a good thing.

The waste in those fisheries has been cut way way back to next to nothing, and sustainability has been advanced and is close to being achieved.

There is a much better way in our Fluke fisheries... if we only had the nerve and the smarts to try.

Rhodester

Thanks for the info Rhodester! May I ask whats the difference between "Sushi Fluke" and "Regular Fluke"? Looks like people need to do more ocean flukin!

-Brett

I wish, big fluke are a thing of the past! I remember in the early 80's to mid 80's, nothing but doormat fluke in the Delaware Bay. I was very young at the time, but you dont forget big fish when your that young.

The 70's were much better, according to my unkle he said you could load up on them all you could want.

Its possible they could be coming back???

SF

I was young in the late 70s and I was taken fluke fishing constantly in DE Bay on headboats out of Bowers Beach and Mispillion by my father.

Sure, there were doormats back then..my Dad caught a 9 lber on a white bucktail/purple worm while fishing for trout early in the year (My Dad thought I was too young for those trips)..

But IMHO the AVERAGE size of DE Bay Fluke was much larger LAST year than it was, say 77-82. Most of what I caught on those trips in the late 70s wouldn't even have been legal in DE last year (15 1/2 inch size), and last year I actually managed to limit out (8 fish) on DE Bay headboat trip.

Best I remember doing as a kid was 14 keepers and I believe the minimum size was 12 inches, but my dad wouldn't let us keep any under 13. I doubt more than 5-6 of those were above 15 1/2 inches.

[This message has been edited by JohnK (edited 04-22-2001).]

If your not catchin big fluke then change what you are doing. I always get amazed by fisherman who go out day after day throwing the same rig into the same hole at the same tide and then wonder where all the fish are.

They obviously arent in the hole your fishing and they clearly dont want the bait your offering. So for ******* sake try something differnt and you will start understanding the "secret of catching big fluke"

Just removed your little "slip of the lip" smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Plug (edited 04-23-2001).]

Brett,

The article about fluke being "too big" originally appeared in "National Fisherman" magazine.

I had to do with price decreases experienced by commercial fishermen due to the increasing size of fluke filets. Restaurants weren't willing to pay for such large filets because they were bigger than they needed, and put them at a disadvantage to their competitors.

PGJ