Al_Dente

Repairing a Super Strike Needlefish

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

A few months ago I found this Super Strike Needlefish washed up under the Montauk lighthouse while taking a walk. The front hook was missing and it looks as if though the hook hanger swivel has been sheared off. Must have been quite a snag. Anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible to repair the lure but I cant seem to think of a way to replace the hardware. Maybe some of you lure building pros have some ideas for me...

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

You could rewire it but youll have to re-drill the nose end to clean it out. I found a washed up bullet and was able to pull the wire out, but the plastic had somewhat molded in the nose end and needed to be re-drilled. You could fish it with just a tail hook but I find I usually hook up on the front hook (on any plug) 98% of the time and rarely fish with tail hooks

As others have said, you'd have to rewire the plug which means cutting off the existing tail loop, grabbing the wire by the nose loop & pulling it out.  At this point the barrel swivel will fall out as well.  It may take some force to get the wire out as the plastic is sorta molded around the wire. Then it's a bit of a trick to get a new wire/swivel installed, but doable.  If this sounds like it's not something you can do, I'll be happy to rewire it for you - you'd just need to get me the plug.

Thanks for all the tips. I figured I would have to rewire the whole thing. Is there a good source for the right materials to do this? Im assuming Ill need a new wire (unless retwisting the old one would work?), a hanger/swivel and a new hook. Where do you guys get the wire? Or is it just a standard heavy gauge stainless steel wire from a hardware store?

I have repaired a few SS poppers by drilling out the broken swivel and epoxying  in a replacement swivel.  I add a small piece of stainless wire to the end that goes into the plug.