Heavy Hooksetter

bluefish

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I was one of the those asking (see thread in MA forum)...but have since found numerous small ones...but the absence of bigger ones in the spring is still head scratching (although I'm aware of the various cycles of abundance when it comes to this fish)

In my neck of the woods we only get that early spring run for 1-8 weeks depending on the year and then small ones all summer .. back 10-15-20 years ago we used to have epic summer blitzes and at least a steady pic of them  in the old faithful spots .. it ain’t like it used to be 

At the August meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, a biologist suggested that recruitment may have been off for a while, and that it may be time to look at current management.  We'll know in the spring, after an update to the bluefish stock assessment is completed and released.  

As an aside, recalculated recreational catch, landings and effort date, released in early July, suggest that anglers have caught and have harvested as much as 400% more bluefish than previously believed in recent years.