Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfrat666

Spinner Shark?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seen spinner sharks come this far north?  My daughter and I were out on the boat yesterday out of Jones Inlet yesterday following a couple of humpback whales.  Lots of bunker around.  I'd say we were in about 45 feet of water when we saw a shark jump 4 separate times.  We were able to get close enough to see the last couple jumps fairly close.  I'd guess it was around 4 feet long but it was quick views.  Each time it would jump straight out of the water while spinning like a top.  No flips and no somersaults.  Just spinning.  I didn't think spinner sharks came this far north but it certainly was acting like one.  Water temps around 74 degrees   Any thoughts?

one was plucked out of a school of them last thursday on a party boat out of manasquan inlet (nj). right behind them someone caught a cobia. :eek: 

I saw something in MOCO that I thought looked like what you described.....thought I was seeing things....but my glasses were a bit hazy from the salt on em

nice big slash slash on the surface about 2 mins before it that got me looking (wasn't fishing just swimming)

Couple others saw it too since i was waist deep and staring like a laser beam tiger woods putting style.

I tag sharks for NOAA, most of which are spinner sharks or blacktip sharks. Spinner sharks are not that common nearshore like blacktips. The migrating data on spinner sharks is not conclusive because spinner sharks look almost identical to blacktip sharks and most confuse the two species for one or the other. The fastest way to identify a spinner shark: there's a small "black tip" on their anal fin. People see a "black tip" and think it's a blacktip shark, nautrually. Just the opposite. Blacktip shark's anal fin is all white. Here's the two for comparison. Close.

Blacktip Shark

IMG_2822.JPG.94c6a9b05a16b532782ca5a1288a7517.JPG

Spinner Shark

rIMG_2643.JPG.a1f9fa3d37dd7824211cede5d0f2d144.JPG

Friend of mine runs a charter boat out of Oceanside, NY, and posted a video a couple of days ago of a bunker school being torn apart by a big pack of either blacktips or spinners pretty close to the shore.  So you probably did see one of those species.