Aretha Franklin’s funeral: Rev Williams Truthful Eulogy drawls outrage from Socials

Rate this topic

Harf

During his eulogy of the legendary performer, Williams Jr. said that black America is in the process of losing its soul. He also added that black families are increasingly at risk because of being raised without fathers, calling the notion “abortion after birth.”

Franklin herself was a single mother of four children, but Williams Jr. was adamant that he was not attempting to point at Franklin.

Many on social media called the reverend’s remarks inappropriate.

Williams Jr. also said that black lives do not matter — and cannot matter — until the black community starts taking care of its own.

“Do black lives matter?” Williams Jr. asked. “Let me answer like this. No. Black lives do not matter, black lives will not matter, black lives ought not matter, black lives should not matter, black lives must not matter until black people start respecting black lives and stop killing ourselves, black lives can never matter.”

Performer Stevie Wonder, who sang and played a tribute to Franklin, especially seemed to take issue with the reverend’s fiery remarks.

During his segment, Wonder said, “We can talk about all the things that are wrong and there are many but the only thing that can deliver us is love. So what needs to happen today not only in this nation but throughout the world is that we need to make love great again.”

He added, “Because black lives do matter, because all lives do matter and if we love God then we know truly that it is our love that will make all things matter, when we make love great again. That is what Aretha has said throughout her life. Throughout the pain, she gave us the joy and said ‘Let’s make love great again.’”

In a Sunday night interview with The Associated Press, Williams Jr. said he stood by his remarks.

“I was trying to show that the movement now is moving and should move in a different direction,” he explained. “… [W]hat we need to do is create respect among ourselves. Aretha is the person with that song ‘R-E-S-P-E-C-T’ that is laid out for us and what we need to be as a race within ourselves. We need to show each other that. We need to show each other respect. That was the reason why I did it.”

Williams Jr. said that his remarks were especially pointed in response to those people who spoke at Franklin’s funeral and invoked discussions about the civil rights movement.

“Anybody who thinks black America is all right as we are now is crazy,” he added. “We’re not all right. It’s a lot of change that needs to occur. This change must come from within us.

“Nobody can give us things to eliminate where we are. We have to change from within ourselves,” Williams Jr. explained. “It is ludicrous for the church not to be involved. The church is the only viable institution we have in the African-American community. We must step up and turn our race around.”

Williams Jr. even responded to Wonder’s remarks during his portion of honor.

“I think Stevie Wonder did not understand what I said,” the reverend reasoned. “I said black do not matter, because black lives can not matter, will not matter, should not matter, must not matter until black people begin to respect their own lives. Then and only then will black lives matter. That’s what I said, and again, and again, and again. We need to have respect for each other. Once we start doing that, then we can begin to change.”

As for those people on social media criticizing his funeral remarks, Williams Jr. simply doesn’t believe they understand what it was he was actually saying.

“I’m sure much of the negativity is due to the fact that they don’t understand what I’m talking about,” he concluded.

Sounded relevant to me.  Now, if no one had mentioned her involvement in the early civil rights movement and how worse off the blacks are today then yes, it would have been inappropriate but they did.

The mantra of “I will not respect you until you respect me” so prevalent among the black youth of today is not, I think, what Aretha had in mind for her hit song “Respect”.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Robert A. Heinlein

25 mins ago, KnewBee said:

I didn't see anywhere in "The Blaze" article where it said "outrage from socials"?

What is a social?

What is the question here?

Why not cite the piece?

There are better written articles on the topic that you could have drawn from. 

Glad to hear:dismay:

Now what do you think about the topic?

11 mins ago, Harf said:

Glad to hear:dismay:

Now what do you think about the topic?

Appears the Franklin family thought it was inappropriate/offensive.    

Neutral is my stance.  Meh, whatever.

Still don't know what a "social" is, except for an event or gathering of people?

10 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Still don't know what a "social" is, except for an event or gathering of people?

If you had a daughter singing at the funeral, and the preacher called her taco bell, and grabbed her tit, would you say Meh?

It happened.  Meh.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

10 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Its ok to say you have no opinion, to pretend you do not know what Socials are is silly.  FB, Twitter, etc are Social platforms utilized in this case by Screaming Liberals who were offend that the Rev pointed out the Plight of the Black Family

So I guess this is not the clergyman who grabbed some side-boob on Ariana Grande and referenced her and Taco Bell in the same thought? 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

I think the Rev. was speaking truth to power but many in the audience, who have been conditioned to self-pity and helplessness, didn't want to hear it.

It is one of the more obscene things in this country when BLM, etc. worry about four or five bad (or scared) cops a year than the killing fields in Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, etc., etc., etc.and the heavy black casualties there.