Chris76

Another fish ID

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, albacized said:

Or banded rudder fish (almacos and banded rudders look very similar - still waiting for the 'amber jack' reply...will be almost as funny as the ol' white perch reply)

Definitely a possibility. I thought almaco when I didn’t see the vertical bands, but after using the google machine I’m not so sure. 

13 hours ago, Chris76 said:

Some type of jack?

20180903_081009.jpg

I got one last year, and someone identified it as a banded rudder fish by the white tips on it’s dorsal fin.  I never second guessed them, so I could be wrong too.

4065A0BF-91F3-4FB4-98EF-772E3EB2C4AF.jpeg

Geez. Lot tougher than i thought. Thought I knew how to ID banded rudderfish but apparently I do not. Looking up comparison between them I went crosseyed and head started to hurt. I guess the big tell is gill rakers?? So rip the fish apart to be sure.....

Best I can pass along are these few shots. My vote is almaco

20180904_212247.jpg.628b8da9dd3d5917ca1a9b53b023d262.jpg20180904_212305.jpg.feed1bc44764883d2c5129e359969032.jpg

If this guy's page is right, the Almaco maxilla curves forward as bit; rudderfish is straight down? 

Then there's this chart 

152434.jpg.b0f5c0013e4d0e9d97cd3b22f12b5ea3.jpg

Sorry about upside down pic. Got this one last week which I thought was a banded rudderfish.

18 hours ago, FishCat1 said:

What lure did you use, Mac daddy ?

Williamson Gomame jig

20180827_173618.jpg

19 mins ago, Joe said:

2nd dorsal is too small for it to be an Almaco

Exactly, and the anal fin is too far back by the looks of that chart. Rudderfish takes it?

Just now, Seadogg said:

Exactly, and the anal fin is too far back by the looks of that chart. Rudderfish takes it?

There ARE hints of bands; but the 2nd dorsal is "smooth" like the lesser AJ. Still leaning toward Rudderfish.

3 mins ago, Joe said:

There ARE hints of bands; but the 2nd dorsal is "smooth" like the lesser AJ. Still leaning toward Rudderfish.

Definitely. Initially, rudderfish didn’t occurr to me. I’m so used to their typical banded appearance. You learn something new every day.