Marty

New custom 7 ft acid wrap

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Just picked up my new 7ft custom acid wrap rod. My buddy did the wrap. Picked up the blank at a show this winter for $15 bucks.  Bermuda blank. It’s going to be my inshore fluke rod and sea bass. Sweeeeeeet. 

40B7A4D5-8259-4EB8-AB58-FC636BD15630.jpeg

5C59A916-83FC-4B81-8E11-FCBF36180B1C.jpeg

2 hours ago, Chipnice said:

Nice. With the left hand retrieve do the guides run left to right?   Opposite of factory builds?

Good question. Yes, left to right. We talk about this before he built it. Some guys say it doesn’t matter. 

9703400B-8C02-498B-BE65-88D300F62B74.jpeg

6 hours ago, Chipnice said:

Very nice

Same guy did my Lami 7020 and 7030 with acid wrap. Wow!!!  I pulled in 35 lb bass with the acid wrap and feel like 15 lb bass. Acid wrap is the way to go. My 7030 rod The green one. 

image.jpg

B53D0482-2304-4FFB-9B41-38E6904BC6A1.jpeg

4 mins ago, Marty said:

Same guy did my Lami 7020 and 7030 with acid wrap. Wow!!!  I pulled in 35 lb bass with the acid wrap and feel like 15 lb bass.

Not sure why an acid wrap alone would make a fish feel 20# lighter than a standard layout.  By this logic, wouldn't fish caught on spin gear feel lighter than those caught on conventional?

1 min ago, vinnyb said:

Not sure why an acid wrap alone would make a fish feel 20# lighter than a standard layout.  By this logic, wouldn't fish caught on spin gear feel lighter than those caught on conventional?

Yes, I have the 7030 in a spinning and it was easy also. I like conventional when live eel - free spool and all that. My 7030 spinning- blue wrap.  All 3 fish were caught on those two rods. I took the spinning to see the difference and it was same as acid wrap. 

image.jpg

11 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Just don't lick the rod

How’s the canal- John ?  It’s dead here with bass. Small ones only. Fished last night at the cut. You know where. Nothing!!!!’   Dead dead dead ! 

19 mins ago, Marty said:

Yes, I have the 7030 in a spinning and it was easy also. I like conventional when live eel - free spool and all that. My 7030 spinning- blue wrap.  All 3 fish were caught on those two rods. I took the spinning to see the difference and it was same as acid wrap. 

Gotcha.  As you're probably aware, the purpose of an acid (or spiral) wrapped rod is to alleviate stress on the hand/wrist/arm caused by a conventional rod's tendency to "roll over".  This is probably more of an issue with larger conventional reels & guides (as opposed to low profile reels & smaller guides) since there is more torque created.  So when you say the fish felt lighter, what you probably mean is that it was easier to fight the fish due to less stress on the body - correct?  I've been toying with the idea of building an acid wrapped rod for my next project just to see if there's any perceivable difference for me. 

1 hour ago, vinnyb said:

Gotcha.  As you're probably aware, the purpose of an acid (or spiral) wrapped rod is to alleviate stress on the hand/wrist/arm caused by a conventional rod's tendency to "roll over".  This is probably more of an issue with larger conventional reels & guides (as opposed to low profile reels & smaller guides) since there is more torque created.  So when you say the fish felt lighter, what you probably mean is that it was easier to fight the fish due to less stress on the body - correct?  I've been toying with the idea of building an acid wrapped rod for my next project just to see if there's any perceivable difference for me. 

You are correct. There was no twitching of the rod when bass was pulling L or R. I had a full wrist fusion after 9-11. Dr. Said you lost all movement and hand power. Dr. Said in 10 or 15 years your going to have claw fingers. The last year I lost two fingers. They stay closed. Having surgery soon to fix that ?????  So, getting back to fishing , that acid wrap gives me a fighting chance. I’m very happy with it. Maybe I shouldn’t of went fishing right after full fusion surgery. Lol 

E54A0644-AF98-44B3-B159-CF2569A1A99B.jpeg